Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dean, if you read up, you will find i made a link to the pickle juice thread. There is a lot of info in there!

Congrats on making it past training! You will enjoy Launch - lots of good learning in there. smile

To find food banks for your area, so a google search like "Food banks arizona" or "food pantry flagstaff" or whatever your town or county is. Also, start asking around to people in helping professions - they have a lot of resources. A lot of these places do not have web sites or any sort of web presence. I am still finding new food banks in my area. I think after a year of looking I have found 8 already within 20 miles. Who knew?

I am compiling a financial resources book for my area. I think i should make an article about finding food banks. Thank you for the idea! smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi. Jilly.
Thanks for your information.

I am especially interested in locating food banks that deliver food packages. Being visually impaired makes transportation an issue. Locating a food bank that would deliver the food to my apartment building would greatly benefit me. Your suggestion about asking others helped me. I did ask some of my building neighbors and they gave me the names of 2 food banks that will deliver a food package to homes of people who have problems with transportation.
Again thanks for your information.

I think a book about locating food banks is a great idea.
Take care.

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Just got another cabbage idea for you, Jilly. I did not realize until much later that you don't eat onions, although the sauteed cabbage on its own should be tasty as well.

Just went to a restaurant where the cabbage was sauteed like I suggested but with no onions. Instead there were other veggies like fresh green beans and thinly sliced carrots in with the cabbage. I found this dish to be delicious.

I never did this before myself, but now I know that cabbage does pair well with other veggies. So sautee some up with your favorite veggies.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Jilly I usually eat the tomatoes as a side salad, sometimes with a couple of other small salads for colour and texture - maybe chopped cucumber with mint and a salad of celery, red pepper and spring onions. I have also used the tomatoes on toast (I think just on bread they would make it too soggy).

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Asha, great ideas and thank you. I can totally do this right now with what I have in my own garden. too cool. smile

I went to the Cornville food pantry today and got my free monthly box. I got meatballs, a frozen potato-chicken meal, a dried rice casserole, a bag of white rice, a bag of egg noodles, some milk, some canned veggies and fruit, dried prunes, tortillas, some gorgeous red potatoes, rice crispies, several beautiful loves of artisan bread, bagels, bananas (a little brown but i always have ideas for those), two kinds of melon plus a watermelon, a cookie cake from father's day, a box of apple turnovers, a gallon of ice cream, a box of fudge cookies, and a few random extra vegetables.

This is just from ONE box. I have other food pantries i can hit. So many in fact, that I could actually visit a pantry every single weekday and get gobs of lovely free food.

This is stuff the bakeries, groceries and specialty stores would have tossed anyway to make room for other shelf items. Very good stuff and plenty of it. Even they don't have enough people to keep up with the fresh stuff! Much of the bread/produce the pantries have still gets tossed because not enough folks are coming in to claim the foods.

I hope this is encouraging some of you to take a look at the resources in your community. Take advantage of the largesse set aside for your area, help keep good food out of the landfills, and enjoy some free nutritious additions to your diet.

One absolutely could live off this food, and all communities have such pantries. No one should have to go hungry in the USA. I can't speak for people in other countries, but I will repeat, there is no excuse for hunger here. smile

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jill.
Great job of talking up the food banks. Since reading your articles and post's I have located several food banks and agree, I don't see why anyone who is willing to take the time to find programs and services should go hungry.
We have a great country and people needing help must reach the point were they can recieve the help in a positive manner and not as someone not being able to help themselves or as failures - everyone needs help at one time or another in their lifetime. Our country can provide - help is ready, just have to make the connection.
Keep up the good articles and great work!

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
There have been various news programs showing communities with such food pantries who are struggling. Based on what you are saying, your communities have more than enough to offer people in need, which is great. Unfortunately many other community pantries are not able to fill their shelves to help others especially with the increase in need, depending on the sizes of these communities, unemployment levels, available donations, etc. It is sad because many people still have to go without.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dean, you are so right and i wish everyone had your point of view about accepting handouts. It's not a shameful thing. Most people are hurting and this food is there to help. My food banks have so much food to give away that there aren't enough takers for it. Even the food banks are tossing the leftovers. Far better this food should get to the people that could use it.

We have a huge surplus of extra food in this country. My food banks get the stuff that would otherwise be tossed away, just because grocery stores need the space on the shelves.

@debbie, I don't know where you live but find it strange your food banks are struggling. Maybe they don't have partnerships with the local grocers?

Here is my possible week: (note that daily means weekdays. there is nothing i know of on weekends)

-Four places for a free hot lunch and two for cheap hot lunches
-one place on tuesday nights for free hot dinner
-daily food boxes in Cornville
-daily food boxes in cottonwood
-tuesday boxes in camp verde
-wed food boxes in camp verde
-more daily food boxes in cottonwood
-once a month big boxes in cornville
-twice a month big boxes in camp verde
-another place in Cottonwood that I need to check out
-i know there is more, but it takes years to find them all. Seriously. They don't really advertise, or have websites...some don't even have phones.

There are also free clothing sources (i can think of four offhand), free books, free showers, free clothes washing, free haircuts, free women's clinics...all kinds of resources.

What we do not have in the Verde Valley is a homeless shelter, though. It doesn't freeze here so people just sleep in the bushes, under bridges or in their cars.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Jilly.....I didn't say that my community's food pantry was struggling, because I don't know that for a fact. I was talking about other communities that news programs have shown on tv......rural areas, communities where factories have closed and most of the population is out of work, etc. I do know that a neighboring town is struggling here and my church regularly asks for food donations to help them out for the needy. I have not had the need to seek out the food pantry in my own town.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh, right, you did say these were from programs you've seen.

hmm. I will start doing some digging about what the deal is with food pantries in various places. Maybe some states don't allow the grocers to hand out to-be-tossed food.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.