Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hello, Everyone.
Yesterday, Jan. 12th Illinois recieved 3 inches of snow and ice. Traveling suddenly became difficult for everyone especially, visually impaired/blind white cane travelers. I would like to start a discussion about how as a white cane traveler you deal with inclement weather conditions.

What steps do you take when traveling in the:
a. snow/ice
b. rain
c. high winds
d. extreme temperatures

In the city where I live the workers plow the streets allowing road travel. I understand that it is important to clear the road but when the snow that was plowed away from the road ends piled onto the sidewalk makes travel for certain groups difficult.

Please tell your story, post advice, make suggestions or comment on the types of products/equipment you use when traveling in bad weather.
Thanks.

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
This is my first winter using a cane. I began losing vision in late fall 2009 and by March 2010 was legally blind. I went from an RN Case Mgr who worked upwards of 50hrs per week to literally a hermit. The only times I left the house were to go to doc appts. I had a fenced back yard and my dog went in and out the back door without me. In August I was diagnosed with an optic nerve sheath meningioma and underwent 6 wks of daily radiation therapy. In the midst of this, my daughter and son-in-law moved me from the house to a small apartment I can afford on my disability. In the last two weeks we have had various mixes of rain/ice/snow...It has been VERY interesting! I have to walk the dog now so I have 'experienced' these conditions in an entirely new manner! The snow piles up along the driveways and while Sheba runs right through, I have to figure it out and not take flight in the meantime. The cane doesn't help me figure out where to put my feet - it just tells me there is an obstacle! Snow on ice is the absolute worst! I actually slid completely off the curb while trying to get my mail! Sheba is calming down, but has never experienced leashed walking and doesn't get that when she runs, all 50lbs of her drags me along behind. I have always loved snow and this is making me very sad because, once again, I am retreating into the apartment and only going out to take Sheba, and then trying to stay right in my own little front yard. Does anyone have any suggestions? My worst time is from mid-afternoon on as once it gets "dark", it may as well be midnight for me. I have absolutely NO vision without good lighting. You can sign me "new at this!".

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hi, Kat101.
Welcome to the vision issues forum!
It is so very nice to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to post your story in the vision issues forum.
I want to introduce myself - my name is Dean Ingalls and I am the vision issues editor.
If you are interested please, feel free to read my biography on the vision issues site. You will find we have alot in common. I am legally blind and have dealt with the vision situation for about 10 years now.

I am so sorry to hear about what you have and are now going through. If there is any way I can help please know I am willing to do so. My goal as the editor is provide helpful information for situations visually impaired/blind people are facing.

Question:
Have you been through orientation/mobility training for a white cane. If not, try contacting your Department of Rehabilitation - Blind services. They should have an instructor who will come to your home and help you learn helpful travel techniques inside and outside your home. They can also help with finding some training for Sheba - for lease walking. The Blind Services program offers a large list of topics for helping visually impaired/blind individuals. Some of them are white cane travel, braille, household organization and computer technology education/training.

Question - Does your vision allow you to use a computer without assistive technology? I use a screen reader program called JAWS in order to use my computer.

Hopefully, I have given you some new ideas to try. Check out the vision issues site and read some of the articles posted. I have just taken over as the vision issues editor and only have posted four articles but the previous editor did a good job and there are still some good articles you may find helpful.

I send out a weekly newsletter so, if you are interested please take the time and sign up for it, It is free and contains up to date information concerning several topics about all aspects of vision.

I hope to hear from you again. Please know you are not alone. I deal daily with wanting to hide inside my apartment. I have struggled to overcome the feeling of isolation and depression from feeling like I have lost my life. But as time has past I have learned how to gain back a great deal of my life. I now live in my own apartment, do my own cooking, shopping and household chores. I feel very comfortable using the public bus system for travel. I have learned different walking routes around my apartment building and continue to walk for exercise. If you can find the determination and are willing the training and technology is out there for you to regain a feeling of being somewhat normal. Don't give up - together we can share the experience and help each other. I hope to build a community of individuals dealing with vision which are willing to help each other.
Again thanks for writing.
Your new friend.

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.