Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I belong to a group that gets together to enjoy wine. The group is fairly far flung so I only see some of these people every 2-3 years. I am already awful with facial recognition to begin with. I am completely at a loss when I go to a dinner and people recognize me. I have no idea at all who they are.

So I decided to try to do SOMETHING about this. We take photos at these dinners. Bob's bringing me home a binder and I'm going to create a binder based on region with the names and photos of people I've met. That way I can scan the faces before I go to a dinner and try to memorize the ones I have met.

At least that might give me a tiny chance.

How do you handle names and faces for groups you only meet with occasionally? Or do you just remember them all naturally?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I have finished assembling the photos and notes into a binder - and I feel better! There's a dinner on the 20th and now I have at least a tiny chance of recognizing somebody. One tiny step at a time!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I love the idea of having photos and information to remember people by.

Usually, I just apologize and ask for their name again. It's fairly rare that the people are offended. Most of the time they have forgotten mine too.

I haven't quite figured out the best way to handle those people who are actually offended.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Susan -

I think I've probably asked the same people multiple times now though smile At some point they're going to give up on me. I will at least try to do my part!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
i like this idea! a nice visual aid.

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Some people are great at remembering names, but most aren't. There is nothing wrong with coming right out and saying I completely remember your face, but your name escapes me. With that said, I love the photo binder idea. A visual aid is very helpful. Seeing the name next to the photo should help cement things into your memory. Personally, I am a big fan of name tags at any event where people aren't already truly intimate.

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, what is funny is that i am one of those people who remembers the names of their pets but not them. So in my head (and sometimes out loud) i call them, "Chicha's Mommy"...

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
A friend of mine - who happens to be our children's eye doctor - can never remember the names of our children. BUT - he can tell you about every single eye appointment, the current prescription for the one with glasses, etc. He never gets the name right without looking at the folder.

I always say "nice to see you" - that way, if I'm supposed to know them, they think I do and if I've never met them before - it's still nice to see them. wink

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, this is basically a dossier. They had one they were using in The Devil Wears Prada, where the new girl has several binders of names and faces to learn before her boss takes her to the soiree. It's her job to whisper the names of the persons approaching the boss once they get there. It's an amusing scene. This probably really does happen.

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.