Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My last article of the year is on The Heart Sutra one of the most popular and well-known Buddhist scriptures. This small sutra encapsulates the Buddhist path, and how 'mindfulness' and 'heartfulness' are one and the same. A great way to start your year!

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
O
Shark
Shark
O
Thank you, THANK YOU Lisa for this article. It has clarified something that has been on my mind for some time, and the timing is right - I now understand!

Bless you!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thank you onealone, I can't think of a better way to start the New Year for either of us:-)

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Lisa, great article!

And it makes SOOO much sense! I know that once upon a time, mankind did believe that the heart was the thinking faculty of the body... and even sciences, like Heartmath, are proving that the Heart has its own intelligence.

Very cool!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Thank you so much for the article. It is so true that we can sometimes cling to things we feel are important, when really they are transient.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
To Lisa, Just read a translation of the Heart Sutra.Just a translation of the text.Not what is all around it.Just the text .Nowhere is it mentionned about the Heart and mind. This is the url of the text of the sutra. http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/heartsutra.html Please if possible comment the text of the Heart Sutra. Thanking you in advance A simple buddhist named loong

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
To Deanna Spirit Dreams. Dear Deanna ,this is the first time that I address myself to you. So you beleive Buddhist wise that the heart has it's own intelligence. As far as I know ,heart is an organ .Mine has been operated on 5 times ,last time ,2 months ago.Can you,please describe ,where in the heart,the intelligence resides.I have seen my heart 10 times ,could not see any part that had intelligence in it.I hope I am not too harsh on you,just want to hear your side of the aforementionned subject. With Loving Kindness a simple buddhist named loong

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
To Lisa low carb, Dear Lisa ,you are so right ,more than transient ,everything is impermanent ,illusion only. A simple buddhist named loong

Last edited by loong; 03/12/12 08:18 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi looong,

I am using 'heart' here as it is used in the title of the 'heart' sutra, or the more full English translation 'Heart of the Perfection of Transcendent Wisdom.' Many Westerners read the title and are expecting the sutra to be about metta or lovingkindess practice, when in fact it is about mindfulness and insight, as I discuss in the article that started this thread. So the title of this forum post 'Heart and Mind are the same' was just a way of connecting the title of the sutra to the contents of the sutra.

I am not sure exactly what your questions are to me and Deanna, but I think perhaps it has to do with the way the word 'heart' is sometimes used in English to refer to compassion or metta in general, as opposed to the organ the heart. In addition Deanna is referring to scientific studies done by an organization called Heartmath, which has shown the amazing ways the heart responds to various situations and stimuli on an energetic level.

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 03/12/12 11:34 PM.

Buddhism Site
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
To Lisa, You wrote:I am not sure exactly what your questions are to me and Deanna, but I think perhaps it has to do with the way the word 'heart' is sometimes used in English to refer to compassion or metta in general, as opposed to the organ the heart. In addition Deanna is referring to scientific studies done by an organization called Heartmath, which has shown the amazing ways the heart responds to various situations and stimuli on an energetic level. loong's comment: The word heart outside of Buddhism ,I know about.That is why I asked if Deanna if she was using heart in the bhuddist way.In Buddhism ,a heart is an organ ,nothing more nothing less.Being human I know that heart responds to situations and stimuli but it ,the hearth does not have an intelligence,it just responds like any human organism.That is what I meant. With respect _/\_ a simple buddhist named loong

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.