Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#731171 12/15/11 08:51 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi BellaOnline Family:

This has probably been discussed, so pardon my post if it has.

What is the secret to keeping the extra stuff you want to add to your sandwich when you are ready to eat it?

And by this I mean, stuff like tomato that tends to get soggy and make the bread awfully soggy too(lol).

Thinking of going back to making my lunch to save on those additional inches that seem to be creeping up on my size 10. Hey, not interested in having to buy larger clothes - yikes!

Love the forum and finally made some time to visit.

Talk SOON!!!

Last edited by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches; 12/16/11 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Connie, no doubt, will give you the perfect answer here, but I can share what I have been taught to do:

My mother always put a light coat of butter on the bread slices before making sandwiches. That is what is done for tea sandwiches. But I don't like that butter layer on my sandwiches!

I used to keep the tomato slice wrapped separately and just place in inside the sandwich before eating.

Also, you can place the tomato in between the other ingredients. Keep the lettuce, cheese or meat directly on the bread slice and put the tomato on the inside so it won't get the bread soggy.

Another tip is NOT to put salt, pepper or other seasonings directly onto the tomato. Salt will draw out the moisture and liquid from the tomato.

I LOVE tomato and will take the time to wrap it in another piece of plastic wrap or place in a baggie or small reusable container. Will do the same with wet fillings such as tuna salad.

It is worth it to have nice, fluffy sandwich bread.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I do what Lori does. I use baggies or very small plastic containers. I pack my tomato separately, usually in a baggie with a paper towel inside to absorb the extra tomato juice, because once it is cut the tomato will keep weeping. That way I can pull out my tomato when I need it and it won't be dripping. Pickles, roasted red peppers from a jar, or any other wet toppings are packed the same way in their own individual baggies.

Often I pack the sandwich fillings and the bread separately, because if I have cold items I find that my bread gets soggy just from being stored in the cold and getting condensation. Cold items like meats and cheese, veggies, etc., get packed separately in a cold insulted bag with large ice pack, and the bread is in a separate plastic bag or container to stay room temperature, nice and soft and not damp.

I find that egg, chicken, or tuna salads stay true to their character when assembled on the bread at lunchtime, so I like to keep everything separated until it is time to eat.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
LOL Lori, butter is my "weakness" and trying to be good, so I will use your "wrap separately" suggestion. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Lori - Marriage
Connie, no doubt, will give you the perfect answer here, but I can share what I have been taught to do:

My mother always put a light coat of butter on the bread slices before making sandwiches. That is what is done for tea sandwiches. But I don't like that butter layer on my sandwiches!

I used to keep the tomato slice wrapped separately and just place in inside the sandwich before eating.

Also, you can place the tomato in between the other ingredients. Keep the lettuce, cheese or meat directly on the bread slice and put the tomato on the inside so it won't get the bread soggy.

Another tip is NOT to put salt, pepper or other seasonings directly onto the tomato. Salt will draw out the moisture and liquid from the tomato.

I LOVE tomato and will take the time to wrap it in another piece of plastic wrap or place in a baggie or small reusable container. Will do the same with wet fillings such as tuna salad.

It is worth it to have nice, fluffy sandwich bread.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/16/11 09:28 AM.
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
I was getting HUNGRY just reading your post/lol. Thanks Cassie, I love the paper towel idea - never thought of that. Your other tips are also AWESOME - will be using those too.

Originally Posted By: Cassie67
I do what Lori does. I use baggies or very small plastic containers. I pack my tomato separately, usually in a baggie with a paper towel inside to absorb the extra tomato juice, because once it is cut the tomato will keep weeping. That way I can pull out my tomato when I need it and it won't be dripping. Pickles, roasted red peppers from a jar, or any other wet toppings are packed the same way in their own individual baggies.

Often I pack the sandwich fillings and the bread separately, because if I have cold items I find that my bread gets soggy just from being stored in the cold and getting condensation. Cold items like meats and cheese, veggies, etc., get packed separately in a cold insulted bag with large ice pack, and the bread is in a separate plastic bag or container to stay room temperature, nice and soft and not damp.

I find that egg, chicken, or tuna salads stay true to their character when assembled on the bread at lunchtime, so I like to keep everything separated until it is time to eat.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I had to laugh when I reread my post. I said to pack everything in a cold "insulted" bag, not a cold "insulated" bag! Poor thing sure was insulted I am sure, not being able to eat all the goodies inside...........LOL!

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
LOL Cassie, I try to read my posts as time permits before I hit the Submit button. I have had to go back and edit stuff - so don't feel bad. On those days I don't have the time, I trust folks will understand.

Thanks for the chuckle!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Ladies, you've got it all covered! Those are all perfect suggestions, and I don't have anything to add.

EXCEPT...look for some pinwheel recipes very soon!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.