Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
This Friday, Nov 11th is Veteran's Day. In other countries it is designated as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, but to American Indians it is truly a Sacred day for tradition.

Being from a large Southern family with many Veterans, I share in the tradition of honoring all warriors. But many don't know about the vast number of American Indians who have served and their dramatic contributions. This week's article shares some of the details.

Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective

This article was like piecing together a puzzle, and most definitely a learning experience! With so much military history, there are thousands of pieces to this puzzle, each with a story.
One of the best ways to honor those who have served is to share their stories.

Please join us and share a story for Veteran's Day.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I had heard about Code Talkers in World War I, but had no idea this was started by Cherokee and Choctaw soldiers.

According to Wikipedia, Company Commander Cpt. Lawrence overhearing two of his soldiers talking got it started. There were 6 more Choctaw in that battalion, and another 6 in the Division.

The Choctaw Code was developed just in time to be used during the last German surge in France. Within 24 hours of its use, their advance had been stalled. Within 3 days, the Germans were retreating.

An overheard conversation between Solomon Louis and Mitchell Bobb ended up helping defeat the invading Germans in World War I.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 11/10/11 03:52 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's another story for Veteran's Day, previously shared by Phyllis. Thanks for this great article!

Ira Hayes Immortalized In Time

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Learning about the different Code Talkers was fascinating. In World War II, the Marines used Navajo and the Army used Cherokee, Choctaw, Comanche, Meskwaki, and Lakota.

The codes that were established used substitutions to increase their strength against being cracked. In Comanche, the word "Turtle" was used for tank, and "Sewing Machine" was code for machine gun. Hitler had a Comanche code name too, it translates as "Crazy White Man."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
N
N
Hi Jane, New to this posting but wanted to reply to your Veteran's Day writing and our Native patriotism. In my growing up, I remember being taken to our Pawnee tribal 'gatherings' by my grandparents and still remember the Veteran's Day events during WWII - the beautiful shawls our women wore - decorated with ribbons and beads, sometimes with their sons and relations names on them. The few remaining veterans from WWI sat in places of honor. Yes, our Indian people have a lengthy history of patriotism and love for our country. I hope it is still being carried on among all the tribes throughout our country.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Welcome to the forum NDNriter76,
I've not been fortunate to attend gatherings outside of the southern US, except for one up in CT many years ago.

At every event I have attended down here, respecting and honoring all veterans remains an important part, just as with the Pawnee. Several of my friends, and I, have military pins we wear in honor of our family veterans on our shawls and/or regalia. Others include service and campaign patches.

My best friend joined us at Strong Sun Pow Wow in NC this past July. It was her first time attending an event. She was quite impressed and commented on the respect and honor paid to all veterans there.

Thank you again for joining us. We would certainly enjoy other memories you can share of the Pawnee gatherings you attended with your Grandparents. Please feel free to start a new topic so we can learn more of the Pawnee.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.