Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#725313 11/13/11 03:30 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It can be a struggle to get organized. Life tends to create chaos. It can be even more of a struggle when your partner in life is not appreciative of how hard the challenge is, and is less than helpful / supportive in the process.

In my case, Bob creates messes. He doesn't pick up after himself and the living room - "his room" - can barely be walked through. There are piles of stuff everywhere. He has expanded his garden stuff (leaf blower, garden supplies) all over the floor of the dining area so we can barely sit two people at the table. The kitchen counters are covered with stuff (he does the cooking). His half of the bedroom is a giant pile of clothes.

So when I try to organize, it is draining to see all of this and know that either I shouldn't be touching his stuff or that if I do clean it it will just revert. I know I posted photos a while back when I was so proud of getting a few rooms clean. Now they're all giant messes again.

But then some have the opposite problem. They have a partner who hates the mess and actively complains about it. Wouldn't it seem then like they should dive in and be actively working on clearing out the mess, if it's important to them? What is the dynamic there?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Wow Lisa, I am feeling your stress over this situation. It's actually one I have seen hundreds of times.

It should be noted that there is a big difference in being organized and being tidy. Really organized people can have really untidy spaces. Just as disorganized people can have what looks like a minimalist space.

However, when it comes to communal spaces it doesn't matter if the distressing physical condition of the space comes from a partner's messiness or disorganization. What's almost always lacking in these cases (where two differing ideals about space management radically conflict) is clear communication that results in a mutual agreement about how the shared spaces will be managed.

One partner cannot organize another. Yes, you can pick up after another, but why would you on an ongoing basis? Wouldn't it be better all around to have a conversation that resulted in a resolution you can both live with? It's not healthy to allow a situation that so negatively impacts you to continue.

To be clear, this doesn't mean Bob needs to agree to become a super tidy guy. It could mean that he gets one room to call his own and it can be left in any condition he chooses. That would also mean you would have to accept that. But, the shared spaces would have to be kept tidy enough so you feel comfortable. The 'enough' part is important. You may have to give a bit on what enough is, just as he will have to put in much more effort than he is used to bring it to that level. For this to work even better, you should also get a space that will be kept just as you want it.

I regularly work with families that struggle with this issue. Some family members are naturally neat, some not. It causes conflict because both feel the other should change. The reality is both need to change, there needs to be compromise and there needs to be respect for the different needs each family member has. Respect is always important. When you know that something is truly bothersome to a loved one, even if you don't understand why, you need to honor that, not dismiss it as ridiculous, stupid, or wrong. When everyone involved adopts the respect mindset it is much easier to come up with an agreement that works.

I could easily go on about this topic, but I have been lengthy already so I will end by just reiterating that it's the communication that matters. Too often we think people know what we are feeling, but they don't. We go on thinking why don't they change and they go on wondering what the big deal is.

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Kelly Jayne -

Thank you for your kind and helpful words! He does have an office upstairs but it is literally so filled with junk that we can't take a step into it. The junk comes right to the door. There are numerous boxes in there from his work office where he was laid off I think 6 years ago. So I think it's emotional, that he doesn't want to deal with that stuff. But it means that "his room" is inaccessible and cannot be used.

So therefore he has taken over the living room, where he is all day. That is the main room one walks into when one enters our house, and it is jammed full of stuff all over the floor and in piles.

My office is off the living room so I have to go through it to get to the kitchen. I admit my office is not "neat" but at least I can walk through it.

Thanksgiving is coming so one concern is that the dining room can't even sit 3 people right now - and my father is coming over. This causes me stress, that we can't even fit at guest at our table right now.

But with both of us recovering from a very serious case of poison ivy, it has been hard to do anything but sleep.

Hopefully now that the itching is finally starting to subside, I can tackle this one piece at a time.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It's been tough to respond to this one, as I am a mess hater as well. I just have to realize that i can only take baby steps and try not to get worked up over things. I know I am succeeding in that, but it's hard when my baby steps affect someone else.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, were you able to pick up a bit for thanksgiving? How did that go?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly -

I am a firm believer in baby steps. Bob and I were just talking about the basement today. It's a giant mess and we can't even begin to tackle it because it is so jam-packed there is no place to put anything in order to then clear out an area. I finally said, we have to start somewhere. We have to get just one small corner somehow cleared out and organized, so we can then use that space to tackle the next corner and so on. But then he promptly fell asleep. So hopefully sometime we can start in on that.

In my case Bob is fine with the mess, and he creates the mess, so he has no incentive to clean up the mess. He would be happy living like that.

I'm more confused in your case. Your DH doesn't like the mess, but I don't get any sense that he helps clean.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm pleased to report that my Thanksgiving cleaning efforts paid off.

First, I tackled the dining area. Mostly what I did was put all the garden stuff on the back porch. That isn't a long term solution, the snows will come soon. Still, the dining area is clean! We could fit people in there! I was so so happy with a clean dining area. Especially because our plants are all in there and I could sit surrounded by the plants and gaze at their flowers and soak in their growiness. I was quite happy.

However.

Then Bob wanted us to prepare a pile for BigBrother BigSister, who are coming for a pick-up on Tuesday. I had to choose somewhere to put all the "junk". So ... the dining area was it. So my joy was short lived.

However, this is just until Tuesday. And it will be GREAT to clear out a bunch of stuff to give to them. So I am promising myself that this is only for 2 days. I can last that long. I just have to have faith that it will actually be all clean again then.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, his stuff is tidy and organized. This is all my stuff. Stuff from moving so many times, shoving things into storage, buying more things for the next house..i have enough stuff to be on hoarders. he won't touch any of it. Why should he? It's not his and he has other things to do. It does bug him though and it does bug me. But getting myself worked up over it won't help. So he pretty much keeps his mouth shut and I try to not feel guilty about my slow progress.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly -

In my house, most of the mess is Bob's. But we are a team and I understand he needs help, so I help. I went through the coffee table - which was his pile of mail from literally March on - and I sorted it and put it into a box for him. He had a bunch of fans in his office. I had him get a Rubbermaid for them, and then I put them into it, labelled it, and now it goes into the attic.

We are a team - it doesn't matter if the items are nominally his or mine. We share the space and we each have our own strengths and weaknesses so I help him with this task. Just like he does the lawnmowing. It's not "his grass".

If DH is good at organizing, and this is something that bothers him, I would think he should help instead of him just wanting you to do it all on your own. That is an unnecessary burden on you.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, we aren't a team. That is how he has set up our boundaries.

He did make a nice warm cat house for the kittens, unasked, and also does a few projects here and there. I just try to be thankful for anything he does.

Our situation is more like having a roommate. I would not expect a roommate to organize my things. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 11/28/11 07:15 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.