Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
I agree the books are terrific. It takes a courageous writer to kill off one of the leading characters in his first book, and a talented one to retain his readers' interest.

The Lannisters, hmm? Well, there is one in particular that has actually been my favorite character of the series (keep in mind I haven't read the last book - waiting for my husband to finish it.) Tyrion. Jaime is growing on me, but that little incident with Bran is hard to forget... unless you have chosen different set of Lannisters... ? If he, however, happens upon a very disfigured maiden and rescues her from what's left of Catelyn.... well.... that would certainly boost his reputation with me.

I agree with your earlier comment that the relationship between Dany and Drogo was so much better in the book than in the HBO series.

I'm hoping Arya will be the connection that prevents Dany from taking revenge against what is left of the Stark family. Or maybe it will be Jon?

As I wait (impatiently) for my turn at the book, it is a great conversation topic for me right now...

Originally Posted By: Debra -- Dogs Editor
Don't be dissuaded from reading Game of Thrones by Lord of the Rings! The books are absolutely amazing, but it will take some time to get into them and to keep the characters straight. There are SO many characters, that's been the biggest complaint I've heard from those I've given the book to. But once you keep the who's who straight, you won't be able to put it down. (There's a character cheat sheet in the back of most editions, too!)

He's clearly learned from Tolkien, and completely avoids a lot of the downfalls I found in the book versions of Lord of the Rings. Even though the series is about a war that spans the globe, there are almost no fight scenes -- battles are always told from the point of view of a character on the fringes. (One in particular is told from the point of view of the mother of one battle commanders -- she's been shuffled off to safety with a guard, but she can still hear what's going on. Good stuff.) It's not as much about what's going on in the world -- there's no long, dry lists or summaries -- but about the characters. Very few are "good" or "bad".... even the good ones make questionable decisions and you come to understand the bad ones. Those who have only read or seen the first book/series are always distraught when I throw my allegiance to the Lannisters =)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
The Harry Potter books are much better than the movie version. Due to the time constraints the movies just zoom past some of the details in the book.
And well, I think the movie The Notebook was better than the book. Book was fabulous too, but it got boring in the middle.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
I thought the movies made from the Narnia series have been a fantastic representation of the book series.

The Lightning Thief movie (which I also read with my kids) was a huge disappointment.

Last edited by Heather - Birds; 11/11/11 07:10 PM.

Heather Thomas
Birds
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.