Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Kasha is made from buckwheat groats. It's full of vitamins and fiber and can be eaten any time of day from breakfast to dinner.

Russian peasants lived on a diet of shchi or cabbage soup and kasha, along with hearty black bread. There is a saying �shchi da kasha pischa nasha� which translated means �shchi and kasha, are our food.� Russian peasants were a strong breed, and I imagine that kasha will nourish you too.

Buckwheat hulls are not wasted...guess what they're used for!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29135.asp

Last edited by Anna -- AHHA -- Rus Cult; 10/10/11 09:24 AM.

Anna - AHHA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Anna,

Your article sure brought back good memories of my growing up in Brookline, Mass- a suburb bordering Boston which had a population of more than 50% Jews out of a total population exceeding 50,000.

We used to eat kasha quite often either made by my grandmother a Polish/Russian Jew who had been a head cook at a Jewish caterer or by my mother. They frequently prepared "kasha varnishkes, made with onion , carrots, and bow tie noodles. This was frequently served as an accompaniment to pot roast and was topped with a very rich gravy. Also, they would make three kinds of knishes- potato, meat, and kasha which was my favorite.

As I kid, I was always asking them to make "mushy kushy."

A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Hi Les,

I'm glad that the article brought back good memories!

The kasha knish sounds yummy as does the mushy kushy.

Do you have a recipe for the kasha knish?

My Aunt Claudia is the one who introduced me to kasha -- she always had some made when I visited her house.

To this day, my brother in law always pokes fun at "kasha" and he was even considering naming his dog Kasha: he settled on Tasha instead.

Peace.

Anna - AHHA
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Anna,

Unfortunately, and I do regret it now, I do not have the recipe for my bubbie's or mother's recipe for their knishes (in addition to their fillings, the dough for the knishes was wicked good!). I also wish that I had the recipe for their outstanding cheese blintzes, luction noodle pudding, potato pancakes, and salmon patties.

When my wife, Maria, goes to the U.S. in November/December, I am going to ask her to bring back some Wolff brand Kasha and I will make some mushy kushy but perhaps instead of topping it with a brown gravy I will use salsa verde and make a burrito out of it.
Fusion Kasha! Why not?

A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Hi Les,

It's a shame you don't have the recipe for the kasha knish -- I'll have to check ALL RECIPES.

The kasha with a twist sounds yummy, too. How about some guacamole on top?

And salmon patties are quick and easy to make -- even with canned salmon. Just add some egg, breadcrumbs, S + P, mix and form patties. Fry them up in a bit of EVOO.

Anna - AHHA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.