Next Thread
Print Thread
#715339 09/21/11 04:13 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
My best friend of over 30 years, my Sister by Choice, recently discovered flute music and has been bugging me to do an article for a few weeks. So here's a little of the history and what makes the Native American Flute unique.

My friend played the flute in middle school and mentioned tonight she might want to give it a try with an "older" model. Need to see if I have anything I can barter with for a "beginner" flute, so I can include that with the shawl and fan I'll be making for her Christmas.

When I asked my friend Jamie Nemeth about taking a photo of his flute, I mentioned a few other flute players I've met on Facebook and the Native American Music Awards next month. I was absolutely floored to learn I was talking with a NAMMY Nominee!

The Native American Flute

Let me know how you like the music in the links.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Until this year, the Grammy's included an award category for Native American Flute. Traditionally the flute was played by the men, but that has changed over time. Mary Youngblood is the only woman to win 2 Grammy's for her recordings.

You Tube has a great selection of her songs. I think my favorite is Wind Whispers. One of her flutes has a huge lizard fetish. Its tail extends down over the finger holes.

Mary Youngblood on You Tube

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I often go to YouTube for Native American music recordings. The music of the flute is such a hauntingly beautiful sound.

I want to get a Native American flute for myself. I want one made with my spirit animal on it.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk & Appalachia; 09/22/11 02:56 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
S
I'm the friend of 30 years that has been bugging Jane about a article on flute music. I have fell in love with flute music.It's the last thing I do at night before I go to sleep. My favorite flute player is Robert Mirabal.My friend recently ask a flute player to serenade me while we were attending a pow wow. This was a real honor to me. Not only did he understand my love for the flute music,the lady let me try her new flute.It was the highlight of my day.She is starting up a new circle and I will be attending. I want to learn to play and excited for the chance to attend the circle with others that also love the flute.Check out the video of John Tesh's Valley of Dreams. It is amazing.

Robert Mirabal - Valley of Dreams

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 09/28/11 09:38 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Southernborn,
So Glad you finally joined us in the forum!!! Only took a little coercing smile

I added the link to Valley of Dreams. That's one of my favorites too, and any excuse to enjoy it again is appreciated.
I'm emailing you the instructions so you can share some more of your favorites. I'm listening to Mirabal's Courtship Song right now. OH MY, thank you for mentioning that one. It really is magical.

Mirabal is so versatile. He can "rock out" with a band or orchestra, or his flute can sing you to sleep. Just hit replay and my shoulders are already loosening. Will have to pick up the CD with this one at the Pow-Wow.

Robert Mirabal - Courtship Song

If any other members need the instructions to include website links in their forum posts, let me know. You can send me a Private Message (PM) or a comment from my Bio Page. Click on my name at the left for the options. Need to hit REPLAY again. I could listen to this one for hours!!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
southernborn, that is an awesome video. Thank you for sharing it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Friends of mine are nominated for a Nammy for their flute playing...I will have to find them and link here.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Are they nominated for one of the categories open for public voting?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
yup, I couldn't find them....such is the problem when you know someone by 4 different names wink I messaged someone I know will know.

Side note, I've danced to the drum group Black Thunder Singers under the pow wow category.

Nammy Website

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
According to the list of special guest nominees, Black Thunder Singers will be there. Wishing them luck, and hoping there will be some clips from the show on the website.

They don't have wireless on the Tribal Grounds, but then I don't have an enabled laptop. I'll be missing this one at 8pm next Friday and will be dancing to Red Bird.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.