#715149 09/19/11 10:39 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Do you live frugally because you have to or because it's something you value - or both?

I'm interested in what motivates people.

I do for both reasons.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Because I lost the desire to clutch and hold things of this world.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Well, I was born right after WWII and frugal living was the way we survived till my Dad could complete his education. So I do it from habit and it seems the best way to conserve natural resources for future generations.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Frugality was instilled into me by my parents: they too were post WW II.
I honestly say that I hate waste and value frugality. I try to live as simply as possible.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
This is an exciting and complex question. For one thing, I do it bc I live far under the poverty line in the US. But for another, I also enjoy living frugally. Everything is like a fun treasure hunt - how can i make something last, get it cheaper or free, or reuse/repurpose what I already have? How can i made do or go without?

It's a game I enjoy far more than the pursuit of making more money in a mind-numbing form of employment. Much more satisfying!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I also want to reject the notion that we have to work, work, work all our lives. We work to live and live to work. I'm just not interested in that kind of life.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I was brought up to conserve electricity, not waste food, and to take care of the things I do have. I am frugal minded because of that, and because I was never very well to do, so I had to spend money wisely. I am unemployed and below poverty level as well. What little funds I have must stretch quite far. Right now I do not have much choice in the matter. I do without a lot of things and I make the best of it.

I am like Jilly in that I think work can suck the life out of you. When I do find a job it won't be a high stress one. I have been there and done that, supervised others and made decent money, but I can't do it anymore. You forget who you are on the inside when your energy is all taken up by work. When you go home there is nothing left to focus on yourself or to care for others. Not the life for me anymore. I'd rather make less, have less, and be happier.

Last edited by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor; 06/10/12 10:11 AM.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Here in The Netherlands the work ethic is work to live, not live to work. People value their off from work time for exercise, out of doors, recreation, family time.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
That sounds like it should be.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I agree it seems more of a balanced life. I see adults walking (biking) around with smiles.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am always amazed, Susan, how Western Europe seems to have their priorities straight for living good lives. Happiness studies even show that your country has one of the world's highest happiness ratings, for many reasons. Among which is the inherent value perceived in a balanced life.

How did that get skewed here into the work all the time mode? The protestant work ethic?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Debbie, I was raised in an upper middle class family where work was valued and even saw as a fun activity. My parents LIKED working and making money. They were good at it, and worked hard for it. They also played hard with vacations and such, and the expectation was I would be just like them.

The trouble is that I seem to just hate work. I've tried literally hundreds of careers and jobs up and down the various ladders. I've read books on finding your dream job, taken scores of career and personality placement tests, and applied myself to everything I could think of. Nothing stuck.

I love to learn and hate to work. So my philosophy these days is to live as frugal as i can and enjoy the learning/experiments/time to myself/freedom.

Here's a difference. my mom and retired and has a full time job. because she wants to, not bc she has to.

I'd rather be fishing! And i don't even fish. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.