Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

ROXIE IS ALIVE AND WELL - AND SHE'S HOME AT LAST!!

My rescue attempt last week turned out much better than my most optimistic expectations. I had that baby in my arms within 30 minutes of catching a glimpse of her. We spent the night together - she purring, me crying many tears of love and gratitude.

I took her to my friend Ed's house the next morning. We lived with Ed when the fire broke out and Roxie is as wild about him as he is about her. She loved living there before the fire and I'm sure she'll soon feel that way again, as Ed rebuilds and as she feels more secure there again. He needs her companionship, too. I wish I could have her with me but I can't so she's in the next best spot on the whole darn planet. And she's safe and can relax now. I can, too. At last.

Thank you, God, and thank you, all my BellaOnline cat-loving friends. You'll never know how much I appreciate you reading about my crazy, flame-kissed life lately. Now that Roxie's health and happiness are more assured and I'm settling into a new home, too, I'm anxious to put an end to this chapter of my life - although I'll be visiting Roxie on a pretty regular basis.

Thank you all for being there for me. I just do not have the words to express my appreciation for your concerns.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Oh, Sandy, I am so happy for you and your little Roxie. This is wonderful news. I pray all will settle down for you now and that you and Roxie have a good home.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'm so happy to hear this Sandy!

It was the 3rd "thing" that I was hoping to happen.

Belly rubs in order smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
That's wonderful news. What a relief for you and Roxie.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Such good news, Sandy.

LOL (That's Lots of Love!) to you and Roxie.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I got a photo of Roxie in the shadows last night.

I don't live with her anymore so photos and updates really make my day. She's happy to see Ed, of course, but the end of Ed's house that Roxie, our dogs, and I used to occupy is now filled with his family members Roxie's seen before but never got to know. She's skittish and isn't yet comfortable coming too close or lingering any longer than necessary. She's getting better acclimated every day, though, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before she reigns supreme at that address, just like she did before the fire. I expect the mix of our old, familiar smells and the new ashy, charred stink everywhere have her on guard.

I haven't heard of any new flare-ups or fresh fires lately but I did read the Texas Forest Service burned down at least one big patch of intact forest in the middle of the burn zone; doing so eliminated a very dangerous source of highly-flammable fuel - the healthy but drought-stricken trees themselves. Did you know pine trees can become explosive when they catch on fire?

We've had more than 90 days of temperatures over 100 degrees this summer. My sister reminded me that's a whole season, 25% of a year. The heat is finally easing up a bit; doesn't get into the 90s very often anymore.

But still no rain. It's been close to a year since we've had a 'normal' rainfall. Texas is seeing the most severe drought of a year's duration that its ever seen. The state is a tinderbox.

When I thought all my clothes were destroyed in the fire, people gave me lots of nice things and the relief shelters in the county had some really cool clothes, too. I stocked up but it was very, very hot then. Most of my wardrobe is shorts, skirts, and sleeveless tops of some kind or another, the better to beat the heat.

Now I'm wishing I had some sleeves. Lucky for me, I have one sister who lives upstairs and she's got plenty of sleeves, and everything else a woman might want to wear. We have another well-dressed sister just down the street. We're all the same size so I've really got a very extended and well-stocked wardrobe to play with. I'm very lucky in that way.

Many of the other survivors of the fire don't have generous, sharp-dressed sisters of the same size within walking distance. After a good washing, most of my clothes were salvageable although I tossed those that retained the aroma of soot and smoke. I think more people who had a first-hand experience with the fire weren't so lucky. I think thousands of people had everything in their house - including every stitch of everybody's clothes - reduced to ashes. I'm lucky there, too.

I'm worrying about them these days - have they accumulated only the light-weight clothes that were appropriate during the days of the fire or do they have warm clothes, too, now that there seems to be a change in the season finally coming on? Donations of food, clothing, bedding, pet supplies, and most of the things displaced people are missing the most are still coming in by the truckload from all over the United States. Maybe, as the rest of the nation starts to dig into winter wardrobes, they'll cull some to send south to the survivors of this hellish fire.

Actually, Texas has seen hundreds of wildfires this year although I think most of them have been in remote locations and very rural areas where population density isn't high so people's homes and lives aren't threatened terribly. One of the worst aspects of the Bastrop County Complex Fire is that there were some pretty heavily populated areas in the burn zone.

So, any rain coming our way? Not according to the state's official climatologist - his prediction is for terrible drought to last for years:

Terrible News: Texas Drought Could Last Until 2020

UGH!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I read about Roxie while I was on vacation. I was so glad to hear the good news! It sounds as though things are on the right track for you and for Roxie. Wishing you well, think of you lots!

Dawn Engler
Alaska
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
It's official!

Bastrop Complex Fire is 100% contained as of October 13 - Thank you, God!!

It started September 4. It boggles my mind to think a fire can burn that long. Here's one good thing that's become of it, though:

Bastrop wildfires serve as backdrop for firefighter academy

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I have a hard time looking at video footage and photos taken during this wild-[censored] fire. Even reading news accounts with no visuals usually brings tears. I haven't even had the fortitude to read back over my forum posts here - partly because I'm just not ready to revisit it all and partly because I'm afraid I'll be embarrassed by the writing! Silly me, huh?

This photo of horses being rescued is such an awesome sight, though, that I just have to share it. I don't know where it was taken, exactly, who's in it, or who took it but the background scenery tells me it was within a couple of miles of my old home. I've recently heard the fire affected about 50 square miles so a couple of miles seems to me almost within arm's reach in comparison.

I didn't get the full impact of the photo the first time I saw it. Make sure you note the scene in the rear-view mirror. I've looked at it dozens of times but never without tears, even now. This is one awesome photo.

Horses being rescued from wildfire in rear-view mirror

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sandy, I clicked on the link but Facebook won't let me see the picture.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.