#706210 08/09/11 12:16 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
What are the quintessential German dishes that everyone needs to try at least once? I'd love a good spaetzle (spelling?)recipe!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

There are so many different types of Spaetzle Lori.

From Natural Spaetzle to Cheese Spaetzle, Roasted Onion Spaetzle, Herb Spaetzle and even Spinach Spaetzle.

And then there are a mass of different dishes to which they are added, so you get Apple Spaetzle, Mushroom Spaetzle, Ro-Ro-Spaetzle (Red Wine and Rosemary) spaetzle etc.

Have already written an article on them for next week anyway, Autumn is just around the corner and that is when the kitchens get busy with Spaetzle making, so let me know what type of flavour, or not, you are looking for and I will post it for you.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I had no idea there were so many types of spaetzle! They all sound delicious! But what is the basic ingredient? Is it flour based? Potato?

I'm interested in the basic spaetzle, its history and also then some variations like the mushroom spaetzle! Thanks! My mouth is watering now! smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

The base is flour, eggs, water and salt Lori.

Tell you what I will put the article up tomorrow instead of next week, it is all a bit too long to post on the forum and am on the hunt for a suitable photo at the moment.

Then you can see how it is made etc., not difficult at all and the mushroom dish is already there.

One of my favourites, can finish a plate at a sitting..........yummy! blush

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
It sounds a lot like a noodle. Thanks for the article in advance. And what time is it in Germany? You're up late. Or early?

yawn. Going to bed now! I'll check in tomorrow! smile

Last edited by Lori - Marriage; 08/09/11 02:03 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes the basic mixture is similar Lori, it is the way it is made that turns spaetzle into something else.

It is just after 8 am, have worked through the night and somehow have just got my 'second wind'. If you have that phrase over there.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Well, it's just about midnight here. I wanted to wake up at 6 am, but I need more than six hours of sleep to feel good.

We have that phrase "second wind" but you'll blow out your sails if you don't get some rest! How come you worked through the night, Francine?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Lori, Your Spaetzle articles are up. Had to split it into two because it went on for������..ever.

There was even enough for a third, the Spaetzle salad is just delicious but there was no room, was already receiving those �your article is too long� automated messages. Next time.

Would love to hear if you try any of them, and what you thought.

And yes to answer your question am working through the night quite a bit at the moment. You are right not really a sensible idea but missed a couple of weeks because of summer flu, yes I know absolutely nobody gets summer flu, I did not even know it existed, so have to catch up with the schedule. And of course you know how that is, sleep disappears out of the window because lists of unfinished tasks keep appearing instead of 'sheep' and dreams, so might as well work on them.

As a child were you also told to 'count sheep', if you couldn't sleep, or is that a European thing?

If there anyone else out there who would like to have a recipe for a German dish they have either heard about, or perhaps even tried when on holiday or serving in Germany, would love to know.

Will try to find the best recommended recipe if I have not one myself, and I have masses of family favourites given to me by my late mother-in-law, so you can try whatever dish it was once again, but this time at home.

How to make it:

Spaetzle, The German Noodle, Traditional Recipes

And what to do with that Spaetzle once it is cooked and ready for use:
Spaetzle, Germany's Pasta, Ideas and Recipes

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 08/11/11 02:13 AM.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Francine, we used to make what we called Bayrischer Stuttgarter rote kraut. The recipe is about 150 years old or older. We would fry about 1/2 lb. of speck(bacon) until crisp. Remove the bacon and put some of the grease into a skillet. Slice a head of rot kraut not including the core into thin slices into the hot bacon grease. Add a generous handful or raisins. Cook on medium low heat stirring regularly so as not to stick. The kraut can be cooked in water instead of grease and the water can be used for a dye. Now, we used to say that we cooked "ungefehr"???? I don't remember the spelling but it meant without measuring. Then we added one apfel cored, peeled and sliced. Cook all together until all is just starting to get soft. Then add the fried bacon cut into small pieces, apple cider vinegar, honey, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook until soft stirring regularly. Bad for the cholesterol but taste to die for!!! Francine, I need to ask you a question. How did such a German girl get such an Irish last name? dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 08/15/11 09:50 PM.
Koala
Koala
We love Bierox. In fact, I need to make some.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
At Christmas time we used to make what we called a stulle?? It is quite honestly an ancient Germanic Yule log from pagan antiquity. This recipe is ancient. This thing would cover a complete oil cloth covered table. If the table is large you may need a double batch. A few of the ingredients have been updated but it is as close to the original as can be had now.

Sift many times 6 cups of flour. Add a handful of sugar to the flour or 1/2 cup of honey to the liquid ingredients.

Scald two cups of milk. Add 1/4 pound butter to the scalded milk. Set it aside to cool.

Put yeast into 1/2 cup of lukewarm water stirring with a tooth pic until all of the yeast is dissolved.

When the butter-milk mixture is lukewarm stir in the yeast, honey, unless sugar has been added to the flour earlier, a teaspoon of salt and mix slowly for a minute or two.

Slowly ad the flour stirring constantly until the mixture makes a very soft dough consistency. You may not need all of the flour but it will take most of it if not all. Let it rise once in a well greased bowl in a warm area then push it gently back down.

Flour the oil table cloth. Put the lump of dough in the middle of the table. Flour the rolling pin. Begin carefully and gently rolling out the dough towards the end of the table. When touching the dough keep your hands floured. The kitchen needs to be moist so the dough won't dry out. Keep lightly flouring the cloth and pin. This process will take considerable time.

When you have reached the edge of the table two people can now lift the cloth and place it on a clean hard floor. The other person may need to hold two opposite sides as you continue to roll the dough out towards yourself towards the edges of the cloth. Don't forget to lightly flour. The softer the dough the more area you will gain without as many holes. If you get a few holes just patch them with skirting pieces of dough. Remember to not flour around the holes as the patches won't stick.

When you are satisfied with a very thin dough grease up your hands with butter. This is the fun part!! No comments please!! LOL Spread the butter all over the dough.

Next sprinkle mostly cinnamon then some ground cloves, and nutmeg on top of the butter until it is generously covered. Next sprinkle a layer of brown sugar and then white sugar over that. Then a generous layer of finely chopped black walnuts and raisins. If you have a bakers dough cutter it may help with the next process.

Now get a bunch of buddies and line them up along one end of the cloth and begin carefully rolling one end into a roll. Keep it tight and even with no space in the layers. Roll SLOWLY till you reach the other end. You should have a substantial 3 to 5 ft long log. Leave it on the floor. Take your bakers dough cutter or sharp knife and cut into 5 to 6 inch pieces. They can fit into greased loaf pans or simply placed on greased cookie sheets leaving room to rise.

Sprinkle with milk and then white sugar. Let them rise until about double in size. Bake at 350 until golden brown on the top. The caramel will ooze out of the ends, GOOD STUFF!!! It takes a day to make this and a few buddies to help but they will gladly do so for a generous helping. "Fr�hliches Weihnachten" dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 08/15/11 08:42 PM.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Oh my gosh! Dave, I have got to try that recipe! stulle?? My family will love it. This could become a Christmas tradition for us if I can get all the younger members to help with the lifting and rolling. My mother used to make cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning and that tradition stopped years ago when the family got so huge. Maybe I can start it up again with your "stulle".

For dumplings can I use the Spaetzle recipe, boil the dumplings then fry them in bacon grease till golden brown?

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 08/16/11 09:32 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Got to try that recipe Dave, have never heard of it before and it sounds absolutely delicious. It will make for a really different Christmas, and there will be enough to feed an army.

Have only ever known �Stulle� to be a sandwich, or Butterbrot, buttered bread (or in Berlin dialect and with a small �s� stulle = stupid), so this must really go back in time. Something new, fun laugh .

As for frying the spaetzle Phyllis, yes that works absolutely perfectly, as long as they are not large, so not too doughy, and are dry and �just cooked�......otherwise any extra cooking will turn them into mush.

Lots of folk fry them together with bacon pieces, chopped onions, sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, etc., add various types of grated cheese halfway through the frying period, all sorts of combinations. Like the Apple and Cinnamon mix for example.

They make a super base for many things.

Also there are lots of recipes in which they are made into a �Auflauf�, which is a baked oven dish, and again the possibilities are endless. A favourite is Auflauf with Gyros, which is spaetzle together with small pieces of meat that have been covered with a really great mix of spices then added to onions, pepperoni etc. with a grated cheese topping. Gyros is basically Greek but the taste, and spices, are now as popular in Germany as Currywurst, if not more so in some places.

Have fun Phyllis...........will you be wearing your cloak and carrying a cocktail while you cook?

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Its a lot of fun Phyllis. You can also hide a coin or a charm or two in it. Good conversations have been had over the time that it takes to make the stulle. Singing also. Kling glocken kling or Nun danket or K A F F E E trink nicht zo viel kaffee or whatever. When it gets down to the careful rolling up of the dough the guys need to keep their mind on what they are doing instead of horse play or thinking about their saturday night date. In the working together to roll up the dough a uniformity of not only the dough is brought about but also a oneness of spirit. It does bring people together which is so needed in families these days. Kids will probably think that it is corny until they try it and then will look forward to it the next year. We have lost so much in todays relationships. For us mystical souls it can be a simple yet magical time!!! dave

"Have fun Phyllis...........will you be wearing your cloak and carrying a cocktail while you cook?"

Absolutely, Francine! Hey! we never did ask Beetle to fly us to the moon! Wonder if he is game for that?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
Its a lot of fun Phyllis. You can also hide a coin or a charm or two in it. Good conversations have been had over the time that it takes to make the stulle. Singing also. Kling glocken kling or Nun danket or K A F F E E trink nicht zo viel kaffee or whatever. When it gets down to the careful rolling up of the dough the guys need to keep their mind on what they are doing instead of horse play or thinking about their saturday night date. In the working together to roll up the dough a uniformity of not only the dough is brought about but also a oneness of spirit. It does bring people together which is so needed in families these days. Kids will probably think that it is corny until they try it and then will look forward to it the next year. We have lost so much in todays relationships. For us mystical souls it can be a simple yet magical time!!! dave

Awww! Dave - this is so beautiful. What a wonderful way to bring the family back together in tradition and spirit! Thank you so much. Will you join us the first time to make sure we do it right? I will have some Hohl Blauer Bock Urtyp on hand, and maybe some Apfelwein also. smile

Phyllis Doyle Burns
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Hey Francine, the cocktail while you cook sounds like a winner!! dave

All righty, then! Let us all get together and make one fine Stulle! In your castle, Francine? My kitchen is not big enough. And Dave will make sure we do it right.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Francine, shall we take Dave with us to the moon? Want to come with us, Dave?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
I need to get a little witchy with you guys here. Just before you roll the stulle go out into the woods and put your hands on either side of a large tree. Wait for a time until you feel your hands tingle. Then go to work. This is an ancient healing touch but also a "connection" to your product. You can taste it!! Don't knock it till you try it!!! dave

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Am going to try that 'tree healing touch' Dave, will be really interested in seeing what results.

And to answer your other posts, love Rotkohl, especially with apple or orange together with the bacon and onions, but have not tried your recipe, with the apple cider vinegar, honey and sugar so must do that this winter.

And yes the name Francine McKenna is a bit of a conundrum isn�t it. Believe me if you saw the entire name it would be even more confusing because it mixes so many nationalities, this is a shortened version.

Have lived in Germany longer than anywhere else in my life, although it was not planned that way. Had a school place for my youngest son, several job offers, with �Green Card�, and lots of friends in the Washington DC area, way back in 1999, but it was impossible for me to leave the country. So it was one of those choices that we all have to make.

Either sulk for the Olympics or make it work. Over the years have studied its history, learnt the language and grown to love the country, the traditions and met some lovely people.

Have lived in many places, as did the families of both my parents, and my mother and father themselves. Our roots are Scottish, but the world has been our playground as they say.

Both Grandfathers won many medals fighting against Germany in two wars, and my father was awarded the Legion d�honneur amongst other things by the French because, as a very young man indeed, he fought for the Free French in WWII. So you could say I grew up in surroundings that were not particularly �pro-Germany�.

Became close to my late mother-in-law in the months before she suddenly died and one day she sent me a package of bits of paper with family recipes, with all my favourites, including the Christmas Cookies we used to devour as if we had not eaten for months. Many of the traditional recipes I feature are those she gave me.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 08/18/11 06:57 AM.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Phyllis, I will go to the moon anytime!! I've got gypsy blood in my veins. Lets go!!!! Wait a minute........don't forget the stulle!! dave

Sounds good to me. I love witchiness and I love trees.

Dave, when you are rolling the stulle, is it from end to end or side to side (the long side)?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Ah! the moon, the cocktails, and stulle -- what could be better?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Wow now doesn�t that sound fun. What a Christmas treat.

How super that there are so many traditions around the Stulle as well, somehow it is things like that that make a Christmas��..well make anything really.

And yes that moon trip sounds more exciting by the minute, now am sure I have a cloak somewhere, and just know that a cocktail would not be hard to find, then I�m ready for GO.

All systems go! Wait -- who is piloting this ship?

Is it Stulle or stulle?

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 08/16/11 11:09 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
My good friend Dieter and I are going to Germany sometime soon. We just recently talked about going but we are short of funds so we will have to wait. I am going to the Hoffbrau armed with my vast array of German beer drinking songs, two strong wrists to hold the large mugs of beer, and my good friend Dieter who will steady me if I waver. Gee I sure hope someone is holding him up???? He speaks excellent German and knows the countryside extremely well. He said to me, Dave, "We have got to go see Dachau." I said," Oh yeh right, and miss the Spaten Dunkel at the Hoffbrau, no way!! LOL Hey Francine and Phyllis, you gals need to go with us!! dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 08/16/11 11:49 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Oh Phyllis, I would even hope it is a Stulle, at least that sounds exciting and good enough to eat, rather than 'stulle', don't really want to go the wrong way and end up in the centre of the earth.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
We will be piloting the ship but then the cocktails will take over!!! dave

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Seriously, If I can be so for even a moment LOL You roll the stulle from two adjoining corners to the other two so that it is uniform. But now that you mentioned it one could roll it up the other way except for the fact that the center would be about two feet thick and the ends would taper off into nothing. I don't think that it would bake to well that way Phyllis, ??? LOL dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 08/16/11 11:20 AM.
Put it on automatic? Dave - stick with Francine and I and we will go places, to the moon, to infinity and beyond!

Oh! That makes sense. LOL I would not want a Stulle two feet thick, I don't think.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 08/16/11 11:26 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.