Next Thread
Print Thread
#696214 06/17/11 04:44 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This topic is being consolidated from another thread.

From Phyllis -
I read not long ago on the internet that a young couple had decided to not tell anyone the gender of their baby. They did not want the child stereotyped. Interesting concept, but how long would they be able to keep the gender a secret?

From GoodMorningSunshine -
Personally, I think that couple's decision was silly and over the top. Either gender is reason to celebrate and announce from the top of the roof a new life is born as he or she is, as the gender he or she is.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think this idea is fascinating. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my minor is in Sociology so I've been reading a lot of studies that involve how people are "trained" to fit into their society. Many of these studies involve infants.

It's shown in the US that if you hand a random infant to adults and tell those adults the infant is male, they will treat it substantially different than if you tell the adults the infant is female.

If you tell the adults the infant is male, the adults are more energetic with it, talking more loudly, being more active, encouraging the infant to be loud and active.

If you tell the adults the infant is female, the adults are more soft and gentle. They reward the infant for being cute and quiet. They are easy with the infant, not expecting it to be as active.

As a parent, I think I would appreciate the idea that my infant wasn't being "forced into a path" just because he/she had certain sexual organs.

It's interesting to note here that not every birth IS clear about whether it is a male or female. 1% of all live births are "nebulous". There isn't just "male" or "female". There are a variety of middle grounds. Surgeons then take action, usually to make the child a female since that's "easier". As you might imagine, this can have serious consequences for the child as it grows up.

It's not an either-or thing.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
personally I find the whole thing a fascinating experiment and something I might have done. but then, I am a geek and love stuff like that.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I was obviously born a girl! but my father wanted a boy, so he took me fishing, car racing, motorbike racing, he showed me how to fix car engines and shoot an air rifle. He got my mother to cut off my long hair and treated me like a boy. He left me when I was 12 years old, he died last year.

Since, I have always been a tom-boy. Always been independent and strong willed. I was never a girly-girl until much later in life but then I had to be mum/dad to the boys.

I don't mind that he did that because he certainly made me strong enough to deal with what life has thrown at me! And I have always had long hair since.

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 06/24/11 06:22 PM.

Linda Heywood

Very interesting subject. I wonder how it would be from the child's point of view? If the couple chooses to not reveal the gender, do they keep that from the child also? I mean, a baby does not know if itself is a boy or girl. At an early age, a child will find out some differences, obviously. If the parents did not tell the child its own gender, would the child behave differently than any other child?

We all know that a baby girl is treated more tenderly than a baby boy. If one did not know the baby's gender, would the baby be treated with gentleness or aggressiveness?

What if you put a bunch of toys on the floor, (dolls, teddy bears, trucks, airplanes, etc) and see what the baby goes for? Would this indicate a gender (stereotype) to others?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I would have gone for the bear because I loved animals. I actually detested dolls.

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.