Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
'I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE' - re-make REVIEW

(Jennifer Hills takes revenge on one of her attackers)

Most of you should know the story. City girl, Jennifer Hills, goes to a remote lakehouse cabin to finish her second novel. Five men break into the house, attack and rape her. She then takes revenge on each of the men in turn, including an infamous castration scene.

I've just recently reviewed the re-make of the infamous, and at one time, banned, grindhouse exploitation revenge horror 'I Spit on Your Grave.' I've spoken to a lot of women about this movie, and would like to hear others thoughts.

Is the film empowering to women? Does it take a feminist viewpoint? Is it just vulger? Is it both? What's your opinion?

Last edited by Horror_Movies_Editor; 06/15/11 01:25 PM.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
............... sick eek
in a word, manky

Last edited by Lisa-Appalachia; 06/15/11 01:50 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Lisa, how do you think it represents women though. Is it a good thing that she takes the revenge? Does it empower her? Or is as bad as the villains? I find this area of topic quite a grey one - though I do think she deserves her revenge.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Elephant
Elephant
I refuse to watch this movie. My boyfriend loves horror and seems to think this is cool. My feeling is it's not empowering. It would make you even more hateful in the end. I've heard the best revenge in any situation is becoming the best you can be. Moving on and living an amazing life despite something like this.

Have you seen that one with Gerard Butler (Law Abiding Citizen) where he takes revenge on his wife's killer? That was intense but I could totally see myself losing it like that if the crime involved a person I loved dearly.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Shark
Shark
I agree with Monica on this one.

That movie appears to be an excuse for gratuitous nudity, shameless violence, and mere spank fuel for *some twisted members of* the male population.

Last edited by Horror_Movies_Editor; 06/15/11 04:18 PM.
Gecko
Gecko
I saw the Siskel & Ebert episode where they reviewed the original "I Spit On Your Grave". I'm shocked this movie was remade.

I haven't seen the original nor will I see the current version. I try to steer clear of movies with rape scenes. Although, I will say I did watch "A Time To Kill" and the rape scene of a young girl (under 10) was handled with blurred views of the sky woods and trees.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I've seen 'Law Abiding Citizen' - so does that mean you're more comfortable with a man getting revenge, or that you can imagine getting revenge for a loved one but not for yourself? I don't think succeeding would do anything for the men in this movie Monica. The female character is already a successful novelist.

I actually said much of the same in my review Lisa, apart from the nudity. To take an alternative view though, all the men are brutally murdered by the woman - she even "rapes" one of them with a shotgun. So from the whole movie, but especially the second half, the male viewers are forced into seeing it from the womans point of view. Through gender crossover identification. So they're made to feel empathy for the woman. The woman is shown as stronger. Isn't there an argument that she is empowered? Especially in the original film.

I gather you haven't seen the films, and Monica says she hasn't. Anyone seen either the original or re-make?

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Jeanne - I've seen that movie too. It's very good, and I personally feel that rape should only be suggested in film - never shown. They did that quite well I recall in that movie.

Monica, your b/f isn't right about this movie, but he has good taste in genres LOL. Horror films say more about our society and culture than any other type of film. They've also empowered women more than any other type of genre over the years (though in the last decade we haven't seen much of that.)

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Shark
Shark
I don't think I have to actually see the movie if what you say is truly the premise. A woman reacting with violence and acting in the exact same brutal manner that was done to her is -not- empowering. She just degraded herself into behavior that she didn't like done to her.

I think it was Martin Luther King who said "an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind."

Shark
Shark
*olive branch*

I tried to search if you'd written on the movie Final Destination and I couldn't find it. Although horror movies aren't really my thing, I like the suspense ones like Final Destination 1 and 3. Have you ever seen them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Horror_Movies_Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.