logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#694933 06/12/11 02:56 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Which one is your favorite? I have a toss up between Kasi the Cheetah and Daniel the Masai Giraffe.

Zoo Babies of 2011

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Alas, I am not a fan of zoos or having wild animals breed in captivity. The tremendous downside to this conduct comes in when zoos get strapped for money and sell off their "born in captivity" wild animal collection, typically to breeders.

I'm doing quite a lot of research on the trickle down effect from this practice and so far I've found it fuels the black market and large pockets of wild animal breeders - a gross of them in Texas - who then sell the animals off to people as pets. In fact, that is how "Tony" the Truck Stop Tiger came to live in Louisiana.

I expect someday I will set out a series of articles about this mentality and why it is destructive to wildlife. However, I first have to process out the rage it pulls forth in me before I can report on it rationally and objectively.

One thing I know to be sure is that man's attempt to domesticate wildlife does not hinder their extinction, it only hastens it.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
OP Offline
Sory, Deb. I am not endorsing the zoo or having wild animals in captivity. I agree with you that "man's attempt to domesticate wildlife does not hinder their extinction, it only hastens it."

I just thought the pictures were so cute.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 06/12/11 08:21 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Further, I have seen both cheetah and Masai Giraffes in the wild - untouched - and in captivity.

For anyone to say they have seen these animals thriving in their true nature while in captivity is like saying canned apples are the same as eating a freshly picked one off a tree.

There is simply no comparison. Make no mistake these wildlife animals are a shell of their former selves and in noway actually represents the majestic beauty and magic found inside each one of them. They are in prison and they know it.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
OP Offline
Of course - I am sure the zoo animals are very aware that they do not belong in zoos. They belong in Nature and they feel the wrongness being done to them. I was only seeing some cute baby animals, not endorsing zoos.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
awww ... I know Phyllis. They are so cute this is true. It's one of those soapbox issues for me ... lol

Hence, why I back off from writing about them right now - I think every other word would be cussing. OMG - lol.

You know how it goes if somebody builds the soapbox for you it is nearly impossible to resist it ... and - I tried! *sigh*

Thank you for posting and sharing the cuteness. I'll try not to be a madwoman running around but I make no guarantees wink

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
OP Offline
LOL - you are so funny, yet so very honest. I totally understand how you feel about it. The babies would be so much cuter if they were given the gift meant for them - Freedom and Nature.

I will not be upset if you would like to delete this entire thread - for it does give people the impression that zoos are a good place for wild animals. Many will not think about what goes on behind the "cute" pictures.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.