logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#694314 06/10/11 08:15 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I read a book and I just didn't like it. Now, I have no idea how to write the review. You guys know I don't like trashing other peoples work. And it's not that the author is an awful writer. I just thought there was nothing special about the story. It's been told a million times. And the writing itself proved to me that there is a difference between people who write and writers who tell great stories. I must admit. I never read other peoples reviews of the books I'm reviewing, but I looked on Amazon for this one. And Everyone who wrote a review thinks this book is great. What am I going to do? I'm stuck and can't write anything until I figure this out. I know I can't make up anything, but I'm leaning towards not writing a review at all, even though I told the author's publicist I would.

Last edited by Di_A.A.Lit.Editor; 06/10/11 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Oooh Dianne, I feel you. It is so hard to write a negative review. It's especially hard to do so when you know you're going to be the odd woman out. However, people read you for your honest opinion.

I'm of the same mindset that you are. I'd never out & out trash anyone's work, but maybe you could say things gently. In the beginning of my writing career a husband and wife editing team told me something that I didn't particularly like, but I must say, it has made me a better writer. Maybe your words will do that for this writer. If not, get ready to get a mean little reply smile

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thank you April. It is time for me to grow as a reviewer. I will figure out a way to tell my truth without being cruel and crushing the spirit of a fellow writer. Stay tuned :-)

Shark
Shark
I'll be checking back. I want to know how this goes. LOL

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
April,

Please do. I'll expect you to tell me the truth. LOL!!!

Actually, I just thought about it. My review of the "Little Known" is as close to writing a negative review as I've ever gotten.

There was one book that I read last year that was so absolutely horrible until I couldn't write the review and I just totally ducked the author [who I had met in person] and she ducked me. LOL!!! I figured since she never contacted me about the review, then she must have known when she gave me a copy of her book that it was trash. [LMBO- sorry]. It was the worst book, the worst story, the worst writing, and misspelled words all-up-and-through-there [that's my country side coming out]. To this day, I duck her. I should have at least told her that she needs to kick her Publisher's a&% for printing that book without editing it. LOL!!!

Last edited by Di_A.A.Lit.Editor; 06/22/11 09:24 PM.
Shark
Shark
That must be difficult to have to read the awful books with the good ones. I like to use the 'target audience' approach. For example, I loathe the twihard pig slop being made into movies. (sorry just my opinion)

To be diplomatic, I'd first write, 'not a perfect fit for those who enjoy most non fiction novels, however, it's an ideal and fanciful read for teens and teens-at-heart.'

Level headed review that gives a warning that it's not for serious readers, but it matches a specific target audience.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello all and everyone,

Just because I am online and get caught up in passing comments doesn't mean to say that I must not hurry up now and go make supper! Here in SA it is currently 20h46 or so as I start to write and you see I am already late for eating. My dog thinks I have gone AWOL.

You will find that there are many many other people who do not like this book too and will be thankful that you wrote truthfully for them. It is one of the tricks in life. You have to see the movie to say you didn't like it and you have to read a book to say you didn't like it, you have to be married to know what married is, and there is always the flip side of the coin. Write your review honestly and straight(ly) for the flip side.

I didn't like the story because, the idea because, the style of writing because, I found it to long because, I could not sympathise with the main character because, I could not relate to the circumstances because and so on. You will not trash the author...you are merely passing an opinion having read the work.

Integrity is all and people out there will trust what you say in future, and even so, there are many who may disagree with you.

Tell it as you see it, readers out there will like that, I know I would.

It's all character building tra la. That is what my history teacher used to say to us when we came across a character n history that was portrayed as all bad or all good.

Jane Eyre? - hated her, a prig, mean, confused, selfish and a touch stupid. Let all women down in my book. Oh dear. Tough!

Smile now...

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Shark
Shark
Diane, you are too funny! but you may be right, people know when their stuff is garbage. That's why so many books are re-released, the authors want to get a few more things correct. smile

Lestie, wow, you don't bite your tongue -- refreshing, in a world where many walk to the beat of other's drums.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Writing a bad review does not mean trashing the work or/and artist. If you stick to the work and do not go into personal attacks it's just a review not an attack.

Moderated by  Nina-AALit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.