Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I've been reading this book Never Get A Real Job by Scott Gerber.

It's been interesting... though I'm still waiting for that "ah ha" moment LOL.

He's basically saying that what worked for our parents, and their parents, and maybe even for us early in our lives, won't continue to work. Where a college education used to guarantee a job, it doesn't anymore. And that the majority of kids who graduate college will end up moving home again because they can't find a job in their degree field.

These kids are being called the "Boomerang Generation."

It's a bit frustrating to think about that --- but it's also an opportunity to start thinking out of the box...

I'm only about half-way through the book. A lot of what he's saying doesn't actually pertain to me, because I'm not interested in starting up a business. I just like being writer and performer LOL!!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Deanna, he is right. It took me being laid off in my fifties to realize this. A degree no longer guarantees you a job anymore as there are a lot of more qualified folks out there who are willing to work for anything just to be able to keep the roof over their head. If what you are doing is working, keep doing it. I would love to start my own business but don't want the headache of employees(lol).

This is so awesome - you stopping by - thanks for sharing with us and please keep us posted on this book.

Originally Posted By: DeannaDreams/Spirituality
I've been reading this book Never Get A Real Job by Scott Gerber.

It's been interesting... though I'm still waiting for that "ah ha" moment LOL.

He's basically saying that what worked for our parents, and their parents, and maybe even for us early in our lives, won't continue to work. Where a college education used to guarantee a job, it doesn't anymore. And that the majority of kids who graduate college will end up moving home again because they can't find a job in their degree field.

These kids are being called the "Boomerang Generation."

It's a bit frustrating to think about that --- but it's also an opportunity to start thinking out of the box...

I'm only about half-way through the book. A lot of what he's saying doesn't actually pertain to me, because I'm not interested in starting up a business. I just like being writer and performer LOL!!

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 06/09/11 12:01 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Absolutely Angela. I'm thinking of even having my kids read this book when they get a bit older.

My oldest, who is 14 1/2, is a very good drummer. And I plan on continuing to nurture that musical ability. I really believe in this day and age we have a much better chance of marketing our artistic abilities than we did 20 years ago.

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Tiger
Tiger
The bottom line - you have to be creative in this recession to get income into your life. And that is what my website is about. I spent too much time doing my job search the "normal" way/lol. It took running out of savings and unemployment (got it 2008 to 2010) to sit my butt down and refigure how I was doing my job search. Ever since then, it has gotten better and I love sharing my adventure with other frustrated job hunters. Folks think they are doing something wrong. NO they are not. Yes, online job sites works for some folks and careers - but did not work for me this time around(lol). I had to create my own job...

Originally Posted By: DeannaDreams/Spirituality
Absolutely Angela. I'm thinking of even having my kids read this book when they get a bit older.

My oldest, who is 14 1/2, is a very good drummer. And I plan on continuing to nurture that musical ability. I really believe in this day and age we have a much better chance of marketing our artistic abilities than we did 20 years ago.

Elephant
Elephant
That book sounds great. I could post a gazillion links for you on why getting a job is just plain dumb and that stuff about college is true. My son isn't going if I have anything to do with it.

The one thing that is most obvious right now is that knowledge about a specific topic + ability to teach it wisely are THE most valuable skills any person can have right now.

In the funny words of Steve Pavlina "The idea that a job is the most secure way to generate income is just silly. You can�t have security if you don�t have control, and employees have the least control of anyone. If you�re an employee, then your real job title should be professional gambler."

I also love his statement about "Getting a job is like enrolling in a human domestication program. You learn how to be a good pet.

Look around you. Really look. What do you see? Are these the surroundings of a free human being? Or are you living in a cage for unconscious animals? Have you fallen in love with the color beige?

How�s your obedience training coming along? Does your master reward your good behavior? Do you get disciplined if you fail to obey your master�s commands?

Is there any spark of free will left inside you? Or has your conditioning made you a pet for life?" This is my beef with having a job. I can't stand being told what to do, how to do it, and how much I will earn for doing it." Pavlina cracks me up and his article on this topic is awesome.

I say, "take your job and shove it" I'll work for myself thanks! laugh

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 06/09/11 12:25 PM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Elephant
Elephant
BTW, Deanna being a writer and performer is a business. Everything is a business whether you like it or not. The choice of whether to make money doing it is what the real issue is.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
The bottom line - you have to be creative in this recession to get income into your life. And that is what my website is about. I spent too much time doing my job search the "normal" way/lol. I had to create my own job...

Angela, your blog is fabulous. You are a very inspiring writer. Why aren't you writing for the Unemployment site here at BellaOnline.com?

I agree... we have to be very creative in this recession, because you know what I've discovered? There's money out there. There are people spending money. My husband's band played a party and they earned about $300 each! For four hours!

Creativity is the key! And enthusiasm, yes?

Last edited by DeannaDreams/Spirituality; 06/10/11 10:37 AM.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Monica, I laughed so hard when I read your post - those quotes are fabulous!!

I agree about the "obedience training." LOL!! Sadly, most people are taught from childhood to be drones through their schooling - where hardly any critical thinking skills are taught. That's why getting a "real job" seems to be the only alternative. It's hard to think out of the box when it's been pounded into you to just go with the flow and never question anything.

Geez... I'm still laughing over that quote about being a "Professional Gambler." HA HA!!!!

I remember my first real job - I worked for a mortgage company. I had medical insurance, and a 401k and retirement! I worked there for 10 years and figured I'd retire from there. I got laid off when the company was bought out.

So much for security.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: ExerciseEditor
BTW, Deanna being a writer and performer is a business. Everything is a business whether you like it or not. The choice of whether to make money doing it is what the real issue is.

And yes, again, you are absolutely right. Part of my learning to "think out of the box" has been to accept that I have to be a business woman. No one is going to come along and "discover" me. It's about the effort I put into it.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I think that nothing in this world can really guarantee anything. It's truly just rolling the dice. A job might not provide security on its own, but I do think that having a job contributes to your being if you want it to. If you don't, that's okay too! Some people start businesses and make millions, others work and get promoted, others work from home.

You do what works best and hope for results, but you can never say that anything is your best bet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.