logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
The one tip that always reminds me to be frugal is "Never take more than what you need."

That is a philosophy of Native American peoples that shows respect to Mother Earth. Like when gathering sage I take only what I need for a particular purpose and no more.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I agree Phyllis! They were ready to sell me a pallet of binders for $5. I didn't need that many. Just enough to fill with algebra, my college classes, and a few for kids who can't afford a binder. I like to have a few "just in case."

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
As humans, we have desires. Sometimes you need to reward yourselves too. For me, I'd put aside money for savings first, then spend the rest accordingly. If I have something in mind to buy, then I'd dig into "the rest" rather than depend on the "savings". If there's no extra for that month, then I won't get the item. Exercise self-restraint!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here is something i have been very excited about - using old tires!

You can get them free from any tire shop - just ask for the ones they are throwing away. You are doing a good deed by keeping them out of the landfill, BTW. smile

So far I am using tires for my compost bin (stacks of three or four), my potato mound, as cold frames for overwintering carrots, winter greens and radishes, and as a 'bucket' for a sand/oil combo for cleaning and preserving garden tools.

Tires also make good swings for kids. smile

Amoeba
Amoeba
I think the best tip I had was to decide to wait 24 hours before buying an item. This helps separate an impulse purchase or one made because of good salesmanship by the seller from an item that I truly need or at least want a lot.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Anne, that is a super smart tip. I often do something like that. I will shop and put things i like in my basket. When I am done, I start looking at what I have and taking things out.

I only keep what I decide I actually need or will get a significant amount of use out of. Everything else gets put back. I figure i now know where the thing in question is, and can always go back for it if necessary.

So far i think i've gone back for an item like twice.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
So far I am thinking the best thing I do is use less utilities. I am very specific about what i'm using with all of them. I've even eliminated a few. To me, chopping off regular monthly expenses is the best and first place to look into saving money.

J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
I'm not sure if this is considered a frugal tip. When my husband and I were just starting out we didn't have a lot of money and it was difficult to pay the bills. At the time, I wasn't working so we only had one paycheck.

To get a handle on paying bills, I wrote down the dollar amount of our yearly expenses and divided it by 26 (this is how many paychecks we had in a year). Each payday I put that amount in an envelope for that expense. If there wasn't enough money to go around, I skrimped where I could, usually on groceries or clothing. I never borrowed from the acutal bill money. I also included an expense amount for savings.

Jenny McKinney, Ph.D.
Feng Shui
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I am very frugal these days. My tips are to think carefully before you buy anything, buy only what you absolutely need, and comparative shop for the best prices. Don't waste, and recycle what you can.

Last edited by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor; 06/02/12 11:00 PM.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jenny, I love that idea! It seems like a no-fail way to make sure every bill is paid. And then you can clearly - cash in hand - see what is left over for anything else.

If i had to cancel my checking account, I would do just this and be on a cash-only system.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.