logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Rebel and Yankee are showing signs of typical male and female. Rebel is always out exploring and Yankee is always nesting. Such a beautiful picture, Jane. Thank you so much for making our 'clan' a part of the life of these blessings.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
It's a little after 7pm here and that's typically hawk bedtime. Yankee is deep in the nest and Rebel is now all the way out on a limb. He's been up to the top of that large branch and back down to a few limbs above the nest. He'll probably make his way back to the nest in time for breakfast.

Seeing him swaying gently in the evening breeze, I can't help but hear that Pink Floyd song in my head. Rebel is getting ready to learn to fly and I can't wait for him to experience the sensation I have longed for. I can almost feel his anticipation, and he's so looking forward to it.

I think Momma Hawk will have to kick Yankee out the nest. When it's time for her to learn to fly, I fear there will be much scratching and squawking. I might need to borrow a video camera for that.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Rebel made it back down to the nest after his tree explorations yesterday. With both of them calling, I went out for the Nest Watch. Rebel's call has a deeper pitch and I could hear it, but couldn't find him. Yankee was standing on the west side of the nest.

When I got to the good spot in the back yard, I could see and hear Rebel sprawled out in the nest. All that climbing yesterday must have tuckered him out.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Awww! The sweet little guy. Yeah, I bet Rebel is tired after all that seeking. It is about time Yankee got up and stretched out.

Have you planned the ceremony yet for the Naming Day?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Talked with my Creek Elder friend and he sees no problem having a little naming ceremony with some sage and prayers. I would like to run it by one more Elder.

If the weather is good Saturday the 11th we'll probably do it that evening, or Sunday the 12th. By then all of their feathers will be in and it will be time for them to venture out.

It's comforting to know they will be hanging around for a while afterwards, maybe all year.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
It is so hard to believe they will be big enough to venture out soon. It will be hard for you and Tim to see the little ones leave the nest. At least they will be close by for a while longer.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Learned a new call this morning from Momma Hawk. Rough translation "Hold your Horses, I'm coming with breakfast!" Went out the back door and she flew over me, ran to the front door and the nest was full of wings! About 20 minutes later, the entire sequence was repeated.

Breakfast must have been good. I could see the bugs flying about and the babies twitching to get them off. With tummies full Rebel went exploring and Yankee hunkered down in the nest.

This photo is very similar to one we took a few weeks ago. My have they grown! Rebel is on the left.

We've been watching Rebel learning to fly for several days and I finally got a shot with the digital camera.

He actually FLEW between the large branches to this smaller limb and we both got to see it! He looks really small sitting there.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 06/07/11 06:58 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Oh, bless them. These are wonderful pictures. Now we can see their feather colors. Rebel sure is anxious to get out and about and Yankee seems very content to stay put.

They are so beautiful. They sure are the most loved Hawks.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Shark
Shark
Magnificent pictures!! Just look at them! Their beauty is more precious than any words.

.... #693286 06/06/11 07:48 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
To say these hawks "know" us is really an understatement. I've been helping at a friend's house and got home around 7pm. Our dog always whines and yelps when my car pulls into the drive.

The dog started whining and both of the young hawks chimed in squawking. What a Welcome home! All three were letting "Dad" know "Mom" was finally home.

My husband saw Yankee finally take a few tenative flutters today. Rebel has been exploring the nearby trees but always returns for meals and bedtime. It won't be long!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.