Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thank you Lestie! Why don't you link it? I guess I could do that for you smile

Planting Poppy Containers
Quote:
POPPY GO LUCKY? Goes hand in hand with happy-go-lucky as these friendly flowers surely have a Flower Fairy of their own.

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 05/22/11 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks very much Diana, I am not comp lit enough to do these simple things! Oh dear that I need to admit such a thing. I'll get there I am sure, right now am working hard on taking over the site in full so I can get on and post photographs and illustrations of gardens and flowers and plants and all those good things that will make explanations so much easier and nice to read and see.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love this thread and all the information on the poppy, Flanders Field, and Day of Remembrance. There is some wonderful information throughout. Thank you, everyone!

Standing Bear, I have visited the Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog Rescue site and am delighted with it. I am going back for a more detailed reading of everything. The Major General is awesome in his little hat. I want to adopt a hedgehog after I learn more about them.

I am going to get a large wine barrel, fill it with soil and plant red poppies in it. Lestie, is there any special soil I should use, and is it too late to plant seeds this year?

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/22/11 01:28 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Lestie, I am looking forward to seeing pictures too! Anything I can help with, let me know. Welcome! BellaOnline has done a terrific job educating us smile

M
M
Thanks for the compliments on the web site, but it's outdated due to the fact that it was created in FrontPage (which is now obsolete and discontinued)and a lightning strike took out the computer where my FrontPage was sitting. I have managed to buy a copy of it on eBay but have not had time to fool with it lately. There is nothing on the web site that is inaccurate, though - just needs some pages completed. Major General Spikers was a real character, and the photo with the helmet really suited his personality. His journey here from Texas was a fascinating tale in and of itself (and is described in some detail in my book). General Spikers was the founding member of what is now the Hedgehog Government of North America, complete with a Monarch, five ministers and a hedgehog military whose mission is to "combat animal abuse." You can read all about it on the Hedgehog Welfare Society web site (www.hedgehogwelfare.org) by going to newsletters and bringing up Part 2 of Issue Number 37. While on our (www.hedgieflash.org) web site, be sure to read the "Critical Bill" page, which was our most unusual rescue. The material on the page was paraphrased by me (and included in my book), but the circumstances are factual. The book was (and is) an interesting project. Initially I envisioned it as a factual series of vignettes about the hedgehogs coming in to the rescue. But I got involved with a writing coach who suggested I turn it into an adventure story with a plot, arc, and action plan. The second book is now complete (only final editing remains). The writing coach is the successful author C. Ray Montgomery, series editor and author of most of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series, which has been very popular. The title of the first book is "The Gathering: Secretly Saving the World." (available at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc.). The second book (in press) is titled "General Spikers's War: Watership Down Meets Animal Farm in the Military-Industrial Complex." As for adopting a hedgehog, possibly the best method is to subscribe to the Yahoogroups (www.yahoogroups.com) list server called "hedgehog_help." It is a large (1,000 members) list server that is highly regulated and rescue opportunities appear there regularly. Most of the quality (ethical) breeders and rescuers are on that list. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear at The Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog Rescue in Divide, Colorado USA

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thanks for pointing us in the right direction for adoption. It does my heart good to see people love animals that others considered throw-a-way pets.

I have got to order your book. Looking forward to reading it.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Phyllis we have poppies growing, the Flanders poppy (Papaver Rhoeas), but it has a short season May, June and July, the seed can be sown in the fall or immediately the snows have gone. Only need sowing once, after that they self seed with a vengeance���..they are like the mint of the flower world and spread everywhere.

There are so many poppy varieties and I am not sure what you can get there, but with Iceland poppies (Papaver nudicaule) it might just still be possible to sow them and they normally flower from midsummer into autumn and as they are perennials if you �dead head� them, so they don�t produce seeds, they will bloom from spring until fall next year. They can easily be sown from seed at the end of summer.

You might even be able to buy plants, but you would need quite a few to make a display that is effective.

Did fill an old sink with meadow flowers once and poppies were amongst them, it was in bloom from spring until late autumn, but have never tried a container with only poppies.

Most poppies are seeded in the autumn, or allowed to self seed, and then they pop up again the next year, but many do need lots of sun and good drainage with soil that is not too rich.

Wish you lots of success with your wine barrel, sounds fun!

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Any chance they would grow in South Dakota? We are in zone 4.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes Diana, The Iceland Poppies (Papaver nudicaule) should certainly be hardy enough to grow there, not the Flanders Poppies though.

Your local seedsman should be able to tell if any other varieties would flourish in a 4 Zone, there are so many different types there must be some more 'tough' ones out there.

Wish you luck.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thank you Francine, I appreciate your help.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.