Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here is "Rebel" squawking as usual. Their little personalities are showing. It's amazing how quickly their feathers are growing and getting darker.

"Yankee" was camera shy yesterday and we only got one decent shot of their two heads. His little white head is on the right.

These photos were taken by my husband and are used with his permission.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/24/11 10:08 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I wish I could have got a shot of them standing up in the nest this morning. But half sleep and tumbling off the roof is not the best way to start a Sunday morning smile

The nest is built up higher on all sides but the southern one. However as I was returning from getting the photos, I could see one standing in the nest from the car.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/22/11 04:06 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Jane, I just cannot thank you enough for sharing this blessing with all of us. To be a part of the joy is such a wonderful experience.

Rebel sure lives up to his name. I can almost hear his call.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/23/11 09:31 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Breakfast this morning is a nice fat green snake!! Went out the front door to check on the ruckus and Momma Hawk was in the nest. Rebel was standing on the southern edge and raising "Cain"

I got a few shots from below the nest, in the street. Got at least one horn honk too smile Went to the back yard with the binoculars just in time to see Yankee swallowing a piece of snake almost as big as him. I wonder if Momma Hawk knows the Heimlich Maneuver? She came close to needing it.

Momma Hawk lifted the snake with her beak to reposition it in the nest. She was preparing breakfast as fast as she could. Yankee likes to hang out deep in the nest, closer to the food preparation, so he got the big piece. Rebel was not too happy about it. I so wish I could get up on the roof right now. But if I do, my husband will be the one raising "Cain."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Sounds like Yankee and Rebel are going to be some really big Hawks if they keep eating like that. Poor Momma Hawk -- to have two fast growing babies who are always hungry and squawking for more.

Oh, I am so happy that you and your husband are experiencing this blessing that Creator made possible.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/24/11 11:27 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
With their little tummies completely full, it was so quiet here yesterday. The chicks spent most of the day napping after the morning's feast. Our little guys know the sound of a car door in the year. A friend came over with her daughters around 3pm. They hadn't reached the front porch before two little heads were peeping over the nest's edge to see who was there.

My husband came home a short while later. Dashed into the house, grabbed the camera, and dashed back out. We'll finish up the film Friday morning and hope to have more photos this weekend.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I cannot believe how fast these chicks are growing. Their breast feathers are already coming in. With the binoculars I can see the brown with black stripes on the upper portion.
This morning there was a clear distinction in their calls. Rebel's has a much deeper pitch now. He's a little bigger, so that might be the correct pronoun to use.

We'll probably have just 2 or 3 more weeks of beautiful noise before we are "empty nesters" again.

If you have a suggestion for their names, please post it here in the forum before Friday night. You can also submit them on my Bio page. We'll be voting next week!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Shark
Shark
Oh I can hardly wait for more pics! You are so very blessed!

.... #691020 05/27/11 11:28 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Well our little guys may end up local celebrities. Called the newspaper on just a whim. They sent a reporter yesterday and he climbed on the roof with his huge lens.

When he called this morning, I thought he had a quick question, but he was calling to say the article was printed in TODAY's edition. Our little paper only publishes twice a week and only covers local news.

We were on our way to help set up for a wedding tomorrow, so we stopped by the post office. I don't know if I should be pleased or seriously ticked off. This was the Friday edition before Memorial Day and we have a local military base. Today's front page included a major property foreclosure, a meeting about tourism, and the Fun in the Sun Expo tomorrow.

Just below the fold - a picture of Rebel and Yankee and a really nice write up. Oh yes, there was a photo of the Navy band who will be performing at the Expo.

The reporter is relatively new to the paper and I'm happy he got a front page article. However, I really wish it had been focused on honoring our fallen heros. Now, I'm a proud grandma, but I question the priorities with this.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
While we were up in Jesup GA yesterday afternoon there was a nasty storm with hail at our house. A neignbor called as we were leaving to let us know. Fortunately, we missed the bad weather on our return drive.

Our little guys are fine. Checked on them first thing this morning. They haven't started yelling for breakfast yet, but are standing in the nest looking around. This is the second storm with hail these babies have survived, not to mention all the smoke when they hatched.

These little ones are survivors!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.