logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Lieutenant General Sir Brian Horrocks sounded like a wonderful, decent and caring individual. Our service people deserve the very best that is available, and every commander should make sure they have it.

Let's check out the small world department...my brother was an officer in Vietnam-David Jones. After Vietnam he was in Germany and Saudi Arabia. He was mid-west readiness officer out of Ft. Riley, Kansas. Perhaps you may have ran into each other. He would of been pretty young in Vietnam he had just graduated from UCS and went there as a second lieutenant. I believe he is 66 now. He has been retired for quite some time.

I think I have learned more about the Queen of England in the last couple of days than I had in a lifetime. You bring something up, I look it up, then find all kinds of interesting information to learn and research.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
Lestie, thanks for the compliments. I teach Internet ocurses for several colleges and universities, and my main affiliation now is with Thomas Edison State College in Trenton, NJ. Thomas Edison is an adult-learning based college has has a significant Internet component. They have a very supportive and effective staff and are professionals at delivering Internet distance-learning courses (unlike many other colleges/universities). My teaching areas are in criminology, criminal justice, ethics, and forensic science. There are 14 species of hedgehogs around the world, and their range is from the British Isles, across Europe and Asia to China, and from the Baltic states in the north to South Africa. They were also brought to New Zealand by British settlers, and so today they thrive there because their major enemy, the automobile, is not as prevalent as in other places. The only two species that cannot hibernate are the species that were sent to the USA into the pet market, the Algerian hedgehog (atelerix algirus) and the Central African hedgehog (atelerix albiventris). Of the 14 species, the only endangered species is the South African hedgehog (atelerix frontalis). South African hedgehogs have very striking contrasting markings and a photo of one may be seen on www.hedgehogcentral.com. Once on the hedgehog Central site, click on "about hedgehogs" in the left column, and then scroll down to and click on "hedgehogs of the world." A photo of a South African baby hedgehog is there, which was taken in 1999 when I visited there on a lecture tour. He was an orphan and was being cared for by a biologist in Stellenbosch until he got big enough to be released into a game preserve. Considerable research has been done on the South African hedgehog at the Mammal Research Injstitute at the University of Pretoria. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear at the Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog Rescue in Divide, Colorado USA

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Lestie, I remember memorizing that poem as well. It may have been fifth or sixth grade.

Let me know when you are ready with your poppy article I would love to read it. I would have loved to have written one, slightly off topic for me, no matter how I tried to knit the yarn.

Please let us know the status of hedgehogs in SA. I am very curious. I think that is one of the most difficult challenges dealing with exotic pets is the legal status. It is different from country to country, state to state, province to province, county, city, local ordinance, housing associations, its crazy. I have always enjoyed moving about, have moved across the US many times. The moving companies have always taken a toll on our budget so I guess I am staying put for at least 9 years. Trying to buy my new spine has taken the possibility of exploring a new state away from me forever. Moving animals has always been a challenge.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Francine, it looks like Germany knows how to protect a protected species. Perhaps they could give a few other countries a lesson or two before the tiger is gone forever?

The poppies sound beautiful, a sight perfect to remind us to remember but we must still move forward. Otherwise all that pain and death was for nothing. I am not quite sure why the human species can't evolve past war and hate. I think if we took politicians out of the equation, the people would be just fine. With the computer, we live in a world with no boundaries or borders.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Tot faciendum parum factum! So much to do so little done.

Like McCarthur I will be back armed with information, but for now tell that I am taking a bit of leave (only a week) so while I have some spare time the rest has been pre-allocated on a very tight and testing schedule for doing ONLY holiday things like:

* staring aimlessly into the middle distance
* contemplating empty circles
* going to the movies
* reading Asterix and the Romans again
* Making some jam and then some pickles maybe
* hammocking
* Arbing (arbitralily hanging)

..you know, stressful busy things like that.

Cheers for the nonce.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

It must have been very interesting staying at Schloss Vollrads in those days, Richard Graf Matuschka-Greiffenclau was already quite an elderly man with a really full and successful life behind him, very influential in the German Wine Growers' Association.

It was sad that after the suicide of his son Erwein, who you might have met and who had taken over the family business after his father�s death in 1975, that the place now belongs to the bank who had brought about the foreclosure. The rest of the family now live in Switzerland but have vineyards in France. Lucky you having some of the original wines.

And the Romans did originally start the belief that hedgehog behaviour could predict the weather and they brought it, and many other things, to the �uncivilised� areas over the Alps, which included what is now Germany and where the tradition is still followed as a bit of fun in some rural regions.

It is not really surprising your uncle had formed a good impression of Lieutenant General Sir Brian Horrocks, he was one of the best and most popular British officers, charismatic and humane. He took part in a TV series which I saw just a few years ago on the History Channel, it was called the World at War and despite the horrors of the subject his segments were interesting, thought provoking and his humanity shone through, which encouraged me to find and read �A Full Life�. What a man he was.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I agree with both your comments Diana, perhaps Germany has learnt some lessons from the past because in general they now certainly care about life in all its forms and the environment.

And yes why is it the human species as you say �can�t evolve past war and hate�. Is it because we don�t know enough about each others cultures so fear the unknown, or is it as so often is said it is politicians that bring about the wars for one reason or another, misplaced pride or arrogance maybe, whereas as human beings, whoever and whatever they are, basically have the same priorities in their lives, and those priorities don�t involve killing and being killed.

It interests me how decisions about wars have been made even relatively recently but, as usual, the children of the politicians who make those decisions are certainly not the young people who are involved in fighting in them.

That is why someone like Lieutenant General Sir Brian Horrocks is someone it is possible to identify with, he said he continued to have nightmares thinking about the people who had been killed on his orders, even though he knew at the time there had not been an alternative.

On a lighter note in full bloom the poppies do look beautiful, swaying in the slightest wind and a sea of red.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

M
M
Francine, staying at Schloss Vollrads was a delight, and at the time I was there, Graf Matuschka was the President of VDNV. He was a very quiet, thoughtful, and genuinely friendly man and was quite different from the Countess (a countess in her own right) who was very outgoing, had a booming voice and a great sense of humor, and stood about 6 or 7 inches taller than the Count. His son Erwein took after his mother in appearance and personality. At the time I was there, Erwein was driving race cars around Europe. I am aware of the foreclosure of the property and certainly wished that Erwein had managed to save it, after all, it was in the family for nearly 800 years. I stayed in the Cavalier House, which, after Graf Richard passed on, was turned into a restaurant. When I returned to visit in 1984, Graf Erwein was not there and all of the folks I knew when I lived there were gone, including the office manager, Frau Klebolte, who was by then in a nursing home. After his retirement, General Horrocks was appointed as The Black Rod in Parliament, a post which goes back many centuries, which I've always viewed as a sort of very high class bouncer for the monarch. Given his habit of always being at the front where the action was, he was seriously wounded and almost never made it out of North Africa. Do you happen to know where I can find an authoritative source for the history of the hedgehogs predicting the weather in Europe? All I have is anecdotal information and there are several folks who claim that this was not a European tradition. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear at the Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog Rescue in sdivide, Colorado USA

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Sounds like a worthy schedule to me. I might try it. So far, we took our daily pilgrimage to Woonsocket to see if the cygnets have hatched. I believe a couple have. I will take the pictures and see if I can peek under her wings.

Now for the rock garden, all they neighbors think I have been trying to grow rocks for two years. I guess it is time to put the plants in. Enjoy yourself!

Quote:

* staring aimlessly into the middle distance
* contemplating empty circles
* going to the movies
* reading Asterix and the Romans again
* Making some jam and then some pickles maybe
* hammocking
* Arbing (arbitralily hanging)

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Francine, I think, here in the states, that every decision now made, the only motivation is to be reelected or to be elected. NOT one of our representatives is doing what is good for the general population. Same thing with the budget, nothing but election/reelection is driving the idiotic decisions.

As we grow closer to people with different cultures I think we, as the people, need to take a firm standing against taking arms. We went into Iraq for no other reason than oil. The structure that has been built is not temporary structures but massive and to endure for many years. We went in there for only one reason, correction, the US and its allies.

Perhaps, we have outgrown our current political situation and some changes need to be made.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.