logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
"The poppy was chosen because it was the flower growing wild on war-torn Flanders Field describe in the poem '"In Flander's Field'" by Col. John MacRae. Imagine a muddy field during battle with the dead and injured lying on the ground. Hear the gunshots and smell the fear. Then picture the bright red flowers growing up out of the bloody ground, nodding in the breeze". Why the poppy was chosen as a flower of remembrance for our veterans on Memorial day.

The poem has been added to page two of this thread.

Learn about unusual pets Exotic Pets/Unusual Pets

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 05/16/11 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
I have always wondered why the American Legion gives out poppies on Memorial Day. That was beautiful!

Tiger
Tiger
Isn't it the maker of illegal drugs too (lol). On the serious side, love them as a flower, but I seem to remember that some folks use the seed for drugs???
Originally Posted By: Diana-Exotic Pets Editor
"The poppy was chosen because it was the flower growing wild on war-torn Flanders Field describe in the poem '"In Flander's Field'" by Col. John MacRae. Imagine a muddy field during battle with the dead and injured lying on the ground. Hear the gunshots and smell the fear. Then picture the bright red flowers growing up out of the bloody ground, nodding in the breeze". Why the poppy was chosen as a flower of remembrance for our veterans on Memorial day.

Learn about unusual pets Exotic Pets/Unusual Pets

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The poppy for opium is different (mostly different) than the poppy for our memorial flowers. Though there is some medicinal quality to any poppy, like the seeds we put on rolls, very few will sprout. I know I tried as a teenager I was curious because I read an article. Outside of curiosity I was never a drug user. What can I say I am a highly curious person. My thought was survival and pain meds if none were available. Too few sprouted to have any value.

Tiger
Tiger
Like you I never did drugs. In fact I never smoked or drank, not that I did not think about it growing up smile
The poppy for opium is different (mostly different) than the poppy for our memorial flowers. Though there is some medicinal quality to any poppy, like the seeds we put on rolls, very few will sprout. I know I tried as a teenager I was curious because I read an article. Outside of curiosity I was never a drug user. What can I say I am a highly curious person. My thought was survival and pain meds if none were available. Too few sprouted to have any value.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I did smoke, and rarely drink. I have to have an ice cream made grasshopper every couple of years. Though, with today's food flavorings I could probably come up with a drink very similar, though there is more alcohol in some flavoring than in liquors.

Tiger
Tiger
Hey, my vice is FOOD!!!! If I could, I would sit and eat all day. Now not healthy, junk (lol). I finally realized that I am a "food addict" = made my life a whole lot better. Now I know I cannot work for a food establishment because of my addiction and make sure I am not hanging out at home to be in the kitchen too much smile
I did smoke, and rarely drink. I have to have an ice cream made grasshopper every couple of years. Though, with today's food flavorings I could probably come up with a drink very similar, though there is more alcohol in some flavoring than in liquors.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I can relate to that entirely. I think it was my mother's way of soothing over problems, bake a cake or a pie, homemade candy. Now I see it as comfort food. Get stressed - eat. My folks both died a short time ago but when they were still alive, and when my son was still alive they came to help me out during my first chemo. Every day she would bake. I find myself doing the same thing.

Tiger
Tiger
I am working on day #2 of not using food for comfort. And it is SO HARD. Between living with a man after over 20 years of not and not working, girl!!!! But I know I have an "addiction" and no longer look down at drug addicts or alcoholics - handling an addiction is sometimes a "second by second" thing. But I have to do this as my size 10 jeans(my favorite/lol) is getting tight. Hey, too hard to find clothes that I love and look good at soon to be age 53. That alone is what is keeping me away from my usual daily "junk" food. I con't care if I don't have any in the house, the temptation to find some no matter what the time is, exists frown But I have done this before and refuse to go back to my size 20 plus clothes!!!!
I can relate to that entirely. I think it was my mother's way of soothing over problems, bake a cake or a pie, homemade candy. Now I see it as comfort food. Get stressed - eat. My folks both died a short time ago but when they were still alive, and when my son was still alive they came to help me out during my first chemo. Every day she would bake. I find myself doing the same thing.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I wish you all the strength. I am truly hoping after my next spine surgery I'll enjoy hiking and such again. I just love to be outdoors walking miles. Just can't do it anymore. Back then I was fit and trim.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.