Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My latest article is on the Three Poisons of Buddhism - anger, greed, and ignorance, and tools for finding and releasing their roots within our own consciousness.

Part of the reason I wanted to write this article is that I feel focusing on the positive gets enough play in our current spiritual culture, because of the popularity of The Secret and related law of attraction teachings. Although these teachings have tremendous value, I feel at times they can lead people to repress negativity, rather than face and deal with it. To truly grow we need to 'face our demons' - recognize and clearly see the roots of negative emotions that arise within us, so that we can release them.

Thoughts and comments?

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Love it, love it, love it!!!

I get to the point sometimes where if I hear one more "Suzi Sunshine" glazing over something that should be addressed litterally I want to say something like, "Ya, well you know, I just saw a cochroach comit suicide today and you know what? He looked like he was enjoyin it..."

I've had people meet with me and their spirits are almost ashamed for feeling hurt, mad and fed up. They'll kind of hint and use a round about way of saying something until I finally just fill in the blank with, "it sucks."

It's like a 1000 lb elephant is lifted and they're like "ya, it really does. You mean I can say it?"

"say it? Shout it in the streets or go find an ocean and scream it out there to the Universe 'cause they alread know it does. You're brave for being here, we all are. It's like a spiritual gym. It hurts, but you have to know it does in order to understand what to tackle next. Eventually you'll breeze through it and be able to help others sitting where you are today."

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Well said, Elleise.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thank you connie smile

I swear, I've had more "writer's block" trying not offend this person or that person to where I'm so far away from what I wanted to say, before I know it I'm like o.k. where was I going with the good ship lolipop?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I so agree!! And often our strength comes from facing our demons, shadows, dark side - whatever you want to call it - and coming out the other side. I think knowing how to work with those cycles is so important. And I understand the value of a 'sunshine' mentality sometimes, and for some people - it is easy in today's jaded culture to become very negative and complain all the time - but I do feel like I see so many people that have developed guilt complexes (as you mention) around certain emotions. I mean I can literally feel them knotted up inside with unexpressed anger, and they are smiling and 'thinking positive'. They are blocking off an entire part of themselves, which at best closes them down, and at worst leads to disease...

I am finding more spiritual teachers talking about this lately, so things seem to be swinging back around to a balance...

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 05/12/11 10:22 PM.

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Awesome article Lisa. I do something periodically called "complaint free living," and I wear a purple plastic bracelet that looks like many of those other bracelets people wear for a cause. When people ask me about it, I tell them I wear it to remember not complain. They are shocked.

What people don't get is that not complaining doesn't = positive thinking. It means becoming a problem solver rather than someone who goes on and on about stuff - but never does anything about it!

I wholeheartedly believe we benefit from facing our demons, and figuring out what they are telling us laugh I think it helps us to move out of victim mode and into life participation mode laugh

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Lisa, this is a wonderful article that should be read by all. Thank you.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I agree Phyllis! I had to post it on my facebook page laugh

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks all for your insights and support, I'm glad you liked it. Deanna, I love the no-complain bracelet - Jilly and Lisa Shea were doing something very similar a couple of years ago, and documented some of their experiences in an old thread around here somewhere! It is amazing how easily we can fall into complaining, and although I think there is such a thing as healthy venting, most of the time it is not.

And I so agree with all of you on the value of facing and working with our darker aspects, and coming to own the gifts the process can bring us...

P.S. Great new picture Deanna

Buddhism Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's a wonderful article, Lisa, and it is very true that we need to examine our negative feelings and find ways to resolve them. I loved your "uproot" language, that these things grow in our mind and we need to seek them out, acknowledge that they are there, and then gently pry them out.

I.e. it's not good to ignore them and allow them to fester. But it's also not good to obsess about them and give them time and energy and focus. Life is too short to spend all your time thinking about what's wrong. It's good to SEE what's wrong - and then to take action to make it better.

Yes I wear a bodhi seed bracelet pretty much daily now and it is my "do not complain" bracelet. As Lisa mentioned, it's not about keeping quiet when something is wrong. Rather, it's about being constructive and proactive about finding solutions. If my waiter brings my soup out cold, I do mention it, but in a gentle, supportive way, and I thank him when he brings me a new one, and I let it go.

I'll go find that old thread, it was a good one!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.