Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#683842 05/04/11 03:52 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Have you ever felt so lost and alone -- like you have been abandoned? Do you ever feel like just walking away from it all and curl up inside a dark cave somewhere?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Actually the only time I feel that way myself is if I've had a run-in with someone or tried really hard to accomplish something and gotten nowhere.

But I have a friend who has more and more been down in the dumps. She does see a counselor and gets professional help, but it's hard to not be slightly affected by her lack of enthusiasm myself. I don't quite GET that mentality of not wanting to do anything and not having goals/dreams/ambitions.

Elephant
Elephant
Me either. Even when I felt massive depression while I was pregnant (mainly because my exhusband refused to be steadily employed and spent all our money and his time on golf, video games, and fantasy football) I had the courage to tell my doctor about it and she referred me to both a psychologist and a psychiatrist who helped me big time.

Five years later I finally walked away from this loser and have never felt that down again. I've had episodes of feeling a bit lost but I never let them last long. I'm too strong for the poor me routine. It's pointless to feel that way for long.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Koala
Koala
For me it is not a mentality of not wanting to do anything and not having goals/dreams/ambitions...I have suffered from depression for years. I see a therapist and take antidepressants. Some times none of it seems to help. Its like telling someone to "snap out of it". If I could I would. I don't like to feel so helpless or painful.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
OP Offline
Clinical depression is much more difficult than situational depression. Clinical depression is a biological disorder and not just someone feeling sorry for themselves.

Many people with clinical depression do suffer for years from it and medications/therapy is very beneficial in most cases. It may take time to find the right meds, but when the therapist and patient do find the right treatments, it really helps.

Conniem, you are not alone -- many of us have this clinical depression and it helps to talk about it with others who understand.

Clinical depression is not just an attitude of "that mentality of not wanting to do anything and not having goals/dreams/ambitions" or a "poor me" thing. It may seem "pointless to feel that way for long" to some who do not fully understand what a person suffering from this biological disorder goes through. It is a psychological disorder and takes a lot of courage and strength to cope with it.

People with clinical depression can and do have goals, dreams, and ambitions and strive to reach these, but it is harder for us to do so -- and when we do reach those goals, it is a much greater accomplishment than for someone who can achieve "greatness" on a daily basis and see it as a normal part of life. If we could "just shake it off" we would.

Nobody chooses to suffer from clinical depression.

If you have clinical depression please do not feel abandoned. There are others here who can help and understand.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/07/11 01:04 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Koala
Koala
Yes it does help to talk with others. It took years before my husband finally would see that I had a real problem. He is very understanding now and sometimes will ask me if I am taking my medicine. Usually I am having problems when he asks me that! But I do appreciate him asking if I am taking my medicine. I am so glad there is medicine now. I couldn't imagine what my life would have been like if I were born before mediations!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
OP Offline
I am so glad your husband understands and is helpful. The best thing for us is compassion and support (along with our medications).

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Compassion and understanding from family and friends is so helpful for those who suffer from depression.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/09/11 06:06 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Wow! Phyllis, I couldn't have said it better myself! You're exactly right! My mom always said I was lazy, but it was never a matter of being lazy. I was/am so depressed sometimes that it's extremely difficult to motivate myself to do anything, and even when I want to do things, my energy level is so low, I can barely drag myself out of bed!

As you said, Phyllis, anyone who thinks you can just will yourself to not be depressed or "cure" your depression with a bottle of wine, doesn't know what it's like to be clinically depressed. Major depression can be debilitating, and it is a serious illness.

I feel really bad that I haven't been here for you, Phyllis (& the rest of you, too!). I've been battling my own issues, and trying to distract myself from anything related to depression, but that's no excuse. Please know that I'm sorry and that I will try to do better!

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
OP Offline
There is no need to apologize, Kitten. I know the issues you are facing, and with that bad weather and the computer problems it must be a frustrating time for you.

We are here for each other. Have you seen that video of the Animal Voiceovers? I posted it in the Native American forum. I will find the link and post it here for you. Laughter can be a wonderful way to lift the spirits.

I will be back soon with the link.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Rayna - Depression Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.