logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I would love to hear about your experiences of having any insect as a pet. I have had some interesting insects as pets.

This article includes care instructions for the praying mantis, as well as an introduction of the praying mantis as an exotic pet. How to care for the praying mantis.

Praying Mantis or Praying Mantids

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hey Diana, we had "Praying Mantis" hanging around when I was a child in Jamaica. I was so SCARED of them, but now that I think back - nature did a GOOD job with them. They are awesome to look at. I have not seen one since leaving Jamaica at age 16. Back then I was GRATEFUL (lol), but now would love to see one.I have had ants as pets as a child!
Originally Posted By: Diana-Exotic Pets Editor
I would love to hear about your experiences of having any insect as a pet. I have had some interesting insects as pets.

This article includes care instructions for the praying mantis, as well as an introduction of the praying mantis as an exotic pet. How to care for the praying mantis.

Praying Mantis or Praying Mantids

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/27/11 12:35 PM.
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Angela, you can purchase egg sacs at garden supplies or even from garden catalogs. I buy them every time I move. Except for this time, South Dakota is just too cold for Mantis. I had ants too, they are a blast to watch. If I had to do it over I'd buy a queen. Back then you could, not sure about now. It would have been nice to keep the colony going. I would love to see Jamaica!!

Tiger
Tiger
Oh no Diana - you missed the part that I would love to SEE them, not RAISE them. Yes, you need to go see my island. If you go, go to Ocho Rios (this is where the cruise ships go, beaches and fun) and stay AWAY from Kingston/high crime. Even I don't go there (lol).
Angela, you can purchase egg sacs at garden supplies or even from garden catalogs. I buy them every time I move. Except for this time, South Dakota is just too cold for Mantis. I had ants too, they are a blast to watch. If I had to do it over I'd buy a queen. Back then you could, not sure about now. It would have been nice to keep the colony going. I would love to see Jamaica!!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
As a kid I had an ant farm for quite a while and I used to catch flying grasshoppers and kept them in jars for as long as...

Where we live in Mexico it is really buggy during the rainy season and one time last year in about an hour's hike I photographed 27 species of insects and I am sure some of them would have made nice "pets" but...

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
That must of been an incredible experience! 27 species of insects is a pretty decent number. We use to help with the butterfly counts, bird counts ect. It was a lot of fun. I learned a lot and it was an experience of a lifetime. What were some of the more unusual species? These are some of my favorites. I go every year and spend hours taking pics. Cicadas, I also love to listen to them.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Angela, I raise them outside to eat the bugs that eat my plants. Years ago, our dentist who was also a personal friend asked for one of my egg cases. He was heavy into gardening too. Except for he forgot and left it in the house. The warmth caused them to hatch, he had babies climbing all over the house.

They climb all over me, never bite or nothing wink

Tiger
Tiger
My ants would sometimes not make it before I let them go due to not putting holes in the jar I had them in. I use to feed them sugar. Of course my parents would not let them inside the house(lol). So they were my OUTDOOR pets smile
Originally Posted By: Les-Mexico, Ath/Agnostic
As a kid I had an ant farm for quite a while and I used to catch flying grasshoppers and kept them in jars for as long as...

Where we live in Mexico it is really buggy during the rainy season and one time last year in about an hour's hike I photographed 27 species of insects and I am sure some of them would have made nice "pets" but...

Tiger
Tiger
And that is why you are the editor of "Exotic Pets" = Ms. ADVENTUROUS Diana(lol). I guess I just don't like stuff "crawling" over me even if they don't bite. Got any pictures of them to post? No pressure, but saw where you posted some for some other insect - grasshopper maybe????
Angela, I raise them outside to eat the bugs that eat my plants. Years ago, our dentist who was also a personal friend asked for one of my egg cases. He was heavy into gardening too. Except for he forgot and left it in the house. The warmth caused them to hatch, he had babies climbing all over the house.

They climb all over me, never bite or nothing wink

Koala
OP Offline
Koala

I do have pictures somewhere. I doubt if they are in digital form though it is possible. It was during the time we switched from 35m to digital at the newspaper. They are on one of the older computers or in the basement in one of seven bins of pictures. When I get a chance I will look through the computers. During the next tornado warning I'll look in the basement wink Except for, I never make it to the basement during tornadoes because my 85 mother-in-law can't get down the stairs. I stick her in the upstairs bathroom (no windows) which is next to her bedroom. Then I can't justify leaving her alone in there so I stay. If the kids are here George takes them to the basement. I'll find you some pictures smile

The pictures I posted are called Cicadas. Their life cycle is quite interesting. They stay in adult form after shedding the husk (you can see the emergence in the picture). They then make a lot of noise trying to attract mates, they breed they die, in a very short period of time. Right after they breed they drop eggs to the ground which then go underground for I believe it is seven years. Then they emerge looking like the husk, they climb usually a tree or what ever is handy, shed the husk, dry so that they can flyand start the cycle all over again.

C
Shark
Shark
C
Have you seen a string of baby praying mantis as they hatch, that is so cool.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Yes I have, and it is so very cool. They start hatching from the egg case and form a chain with their bodies to get down to the ground. I have had the opportunity to be fortunate enough to catch a few cases hatching. Praying Mantis

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Diana, they sound like the "love bugs" that they have in Orlando, Florida - so glad I am no longer living there. They show up twice a year and damage your car finish if you don't wash them off each day. They mate and then die. Yikes! I think if I was one I would NEVER mate (lol).

Be careful with those tornados please!

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 05/02/11 12:51 PM.
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Reminds me of a story when I worked for Avon. My boss, a very prim and proper women took all the district sales manager in her region on a trip to Florida. When we landed at the airport these awful bugs were all over. She was beyond herself. Besides it was hot and muggy!

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
You didn't bring me back on lousy bug for my kids? They love exotic food!

Tiger
Tiger
LOL, there is nothing left to bring back. They literally commit suicide and fly into your windshield and whatever else they can find.

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
What no snacks for my kids, what is this smile Tell everyone to drive more carefully lol and get the bugs a psychologist.

C
Shark
Shark
C
I vote for the psychologist, send the bugs to my dragon.

Tiger
Tiger
You are SO FUNNY smile
Originally Posted By: Calla
I vote for the psychologist, send the bugs to my dragon.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
That WAS cute. Calla, how is your dragon doing? A little over a year old now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.