Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Well it was certainly worth the wait. The Doctor comes to America in the new series of Doctor Who - and even meets President Richard Nixon in the Oval Office!

'The Impossible Astronaut' is brilliant. Watch it on the box or watch it online - but watch it!

And read about its talented writer, here -

Doctor Who Lands In America

Oh - and if you get to watch it - maybe you could let us know what you think of it?

Yay! Doctor Who laugh

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/24/11 01:23 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
All this talk about Dr. Who...I will watch it soon.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hope you get to see it Lori - I suppose it is an English institution - or should I say British, given that it is produced by BBC Wales, and David Tennant, the actor who played the last Doctor, though seemingly quintessentially English, is in fact a native Scot. Phew...I got to the end of the sentence!! laugh

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/27/11 10:28 AM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Outstanding episode, and some good jokes.

I can't think of an episode that has generated so much discussion among my friends.

I just hope the conclusion next week doesn't disappoint after the complex plot points raised in this -- or will many of the threads continue through the rest of the series?

We are told that this series will reveal the truth about Dr River Song -- but I am not sure now that I want to know. I like her for the mystery she is.

'Hello sweetie' indeed!!

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Peter smile

And also she hints liberally of misery to come - marriage notwithstanding! Or maybe - as Lori will no doubt disagree - because of the marriage laugh

That's the thing about mystery though. You want to know the answer but I think there's also fear of being disappointed. Or maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/27/11 11:24 AM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Is it because this series is a co-production with BBC-America that there are so many guns, and shooting, in it?

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
You have to hand it to Steven Moffatt - he pulls no punches. Or should that be bullets?

'They won't shoot'

'This is America!'

So no concession to our friends Stateside, then.

Oh and if you are interested in his scripts for Dr Who - you may like to read my article, here - Dr Who Lands in America

Mind you, though Pete - to be fair - it IS America! And it's every American citizen's right and all that, and if you can't have guns in the Oval Office to protect the President (even tho' it IS Nixon) - then where can you?

And let's face it - on Dr Who you need weaponry - tho' usually it's fired from the end of your arm (and I don't mean in your hand) - or from a nozzle

'Exterminate!'

Oh and sorry Mr Dalek for calling your lethal weapon 'a nozzle'. laugh

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/27/11 12:46 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV

'They won't shoot'

'This is America!'

I thought it was

'They won't shoot'

'They are Americans!'

Oh and if you are interested in his scripts for Dr Who - you may like to read my article, here - Dr Who Lands in America

Already read it smile

if you can't have guns in the Oval Office to protect the President (even tho' it IS Nixon) - then where can you?

Yes -- but the security detail didn't shoot their guns! It was Dr Song with her six-gun who emptied it and Amy with the pistol taken from the unconcious ex-FBI agent who fired

.And let's face it - on Dr Who you need weaponry - tho' usually it's fired from the end of your arm (and I don't mean in your hand) - or from a nozzle

They are 'fantasy' weapons, not the real guns we see all to often in news reports.

And the Dr combats these weapons with ingenuity. not guns

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Ref your article: I have probably misunderstood your meaning when you say

Quote:
The very first episode of Doctor Who ever screened in 1963 was called 'An Unearthly Child' and Moffat plays tribute to this. Spooky children are always good horror fodder

Good catch on the title reference, but there was nothing spooky about the 'Unearthly Child'.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/27/11 05:53 PM.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

So pleased you read my article, Peter.

That's what we're all here for. And I also love seeing responses on the forum, especially by someone who knows their onions, as my ma would say.

So all good smile

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/28/11 09:50 AM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
An Unearthly Child - first ever Dr Who episode.

A schoolgirl called Susan behaves so oddly in class two of her teachers come to talk to her guardian - her grandfather. At her address they find no house but a junk yard, and inside, a police box, normally found on the street. Confused they approach it - and the male teacher springs backwards, as it is vibrating. 'It's alive!' he shouts - then they hear Susan's voice coming from inside it.

Suddenly, what seemed unusual - odd even - begins to seem...spooky!!

Dn de dn, dn de dn, dn dn da da dn de dn - whooo ooo!!!

That's the Dr Who music btw - and that first episode scared the life out of me!!

Oh yes - spooky Susan and her even spookier grandfather shocked

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/27/11 06:23 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
So the sequel to The Impossible Astronaut - 'Day of the Moon' - was fan tab a rooney!!! Dead good. laugh

But The Doctor asks the human race to commit genocide - and isn't the Doctor code that usually he avoids killing the gribblies? Or at least to give them a chance to surrender - this time he said 'Nice thought, but it's not Christmas' - very funny, but oh dear - he's getting meaner!! Mind you they were about to take over the Earth.

I loved this two parter - tapping in as it did to the whole Cold War thing, when science fiction and politics was so enmeshed.

Remember the end of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' where the guy runs down the road screaming 'They're here already!'
There has been masses of speculation through the years that 'they' is not just aliens - but Cold War Commies!! The invisible threat of Reds under the bed.

So this storyline, based as it was in the Cold War 60s America of the space race, beautifully references this genre, surrounded as we were by invisible (or instantly forgotten) aliens.

Oh, and the President's guys were just so stylish!!

Not quite as fab as those in Mad Men though cool

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 05/01/11 02:07 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.