logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I should, but would hate to spend extra time in de-threading & sewing. I'd want to put them on some happy feet right away. Since lane stitch is done completely from one side on leather, I can't see where beading prior to assembly would make a difference. Figure you can wear through mocs pretty quickly & the second pair might be ready about the time I make a hole.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
Beetle, in the interview you mentioned that your mother used to do 3-D beading. I am working on another image of a buffalo. I drew the buffalo with some background like he is on the Plains with grasses and a few boulders in the background. This will be for my brother's birthday present. I want to make the buffalo stand out in a 3-D effect. How is this done?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
The 3-D beaing is the type that uses wire to make items similar to Christmas tree ornanments. It is not applied to a meterial, much like applique work. The only solution I would conceive is to add more material beneath the images you want raised.

-B-
OP Offline
That sounds like it might work. By padding under the buffalo it will bring him forth a little. I can do the applique' beading first for the full image, a little embroidery for the grasses, then when I frame it, put padding under the buffalo and an outline of beadwork around the buffalo and make sure I stitch this outline work through all layers -- that should pop him up a bit. Thanks!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Beetle, how are your moccasins coming along? I have never made hard sole mocs, only center seam soft mocs.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
They're not right now. Too many other tasks have been filling my time. While going through my leather pile, I did uncover an old pair of plainsman/over-the-calf mocs that need a new sole. That could be a simple project...

-B-
OP Offline
I have some old mocs that need a new sole. The tops are fine and the beading is ok. How would I go about replacing the soles?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
If it's just the sole, you can cut the stitches carefully and use the old one as a pattern for a new sole. The hardest part is getting the holes on the new soles to match up as closely as possible.

I don't know how particular you want to be on matching the leather, but it will be almost impossible to find a perfect match. I've seen re-soled mocs with a darker leather sole and I thought it looked nice.

One thing I want to try to find is some rubber sole plates to attach to the 2 pair of Minnetonka mocs I found at resale stores. Even with the double inserts, I still have to be careful where I step to prevent rock bruises. I wear through mocs quickly. A little extra expense to help these bargain finds last longer and provide additional protection for my feet is worth it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Not a hard project if the tops are the running or whip stitch pucker toe type. lcp is absolutely on track to use the old one as a pattern. That is my intentions when I finally get to re-sole my *experienced 'plainsman-style' - Seems I have a short-notice wedding to prepare for (mid-May) & family is coming in from all over the US to the -B-hacienda. Gotta prepare & clean...

If the mocs are of the plains style. Turn inside-out to cut the stitching & re-sew in the same configuration - inside-out. It is hard to turn it if it is of the hard sole variety.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Good luck on the wedding. We're helping with one at the end of May ourselves. It's a friend's and thankfully we'll have no house guests staying with us. No way I could prepare with only a few days after Unity Pow-Wow.

You wouldn't happen to know where I should look for those rubber sole plates would you?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.