Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

LOL, at age 52 I have come to realize that "ethnic" now describes a lot of cultures. I remember when the word mean't "black" (or whatever title you use) - but now it covers ALL races. I was born in Jamaica, West Indies and we do not use that word, but I ran into it at age 16 when I came to the USA. Reason, we are all MIXED so no one in Jamaica is of ONE cuture smile

I see a lot of cosmetics geared to certain cultures, which I think is wise as skin does differ depending on your culture.

What is your opinion on this subject?

Thanks,

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/02/11 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
Sorry i have no great idea. Thanks ------------ [url=http://www.pandahall.com/wholesale-tibetan-style-beads/181.html]tibetan beads[/url]

Last edited by mark101; 05/12/11 04:28 PM.
Shark
Shark
To me, Ethnic means people who are aware and proud of their heritage, ancestors, family and who they ARE. Ethnicity is a strong sense of oneself, so would 'ethnic' be defined as a people of strong identity?

Shark
Shark
Sounds right to me.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I think of "ethnic" as non-Caucasian. But I wonder how ethnic is defined by other countries?

Shark
Shark
Lori, you are right, and that is a great question --does anyone know?

Below I've pasted an excerpt from my article: What Does 'Ethnic' Really Mean

For most people, the word 'ethnic' causes thoughts of skin color, or race; however the term deals more with people who have joined a larger society.

These people are often seen as members of an 'ethnic group' because their group, the minority, became part of a larger whole.

Ethnic groups are comprised of people who left their homeland and migrated to a new country.

Last edited by AprilAlisaMarquette; 05/20/11 09:50 AM.
Shark
Shark
Wow April! You write a wonderful article! It brings a quiet sense of understanding, depth and shared community. You're a gifted writer and I'd love to read more of your work.

Shark
Shark
Hi Great Grandaughter,

You've got me blushing...thanks! You can check out books I've written on Amazon, or at my website -- where signed copies are available. I write adult fiction about multi-ethnic people.

Shark
Shark
You have actual published books?! Really, I shouldn't be surprised, considering the quality of your articles! I'll definitely have to do some nosing around now.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
To me, ethnic means the group of people you have descended from. The culture, traditions, history, looks that have been passed down to me from generations ago are all part of my ethnic heritage. Most of us "white" people prefer to be called "European Americans" or (some of us) "Anglo Saxons". The term Caucasian would be ones who came from the Caucasus regions:

The Caucasus is one of the most linguistically and culturally diverse regions on Earth. The nation states that comprise the Caucasus today are the post-Soviet states Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan. The Russian divisions include Krasnodar Krai, Stavropol Krai, and the autonomous republics of Adygea, Karachay-Cherkessia, Kabardino-Balkaria, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Chechnya, and Dagestan. Three territories in the region claim independence but are not universally acknowledged as nation-states by the international community: Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh and South Ossetia.

None of my ancestors came from those areas and I doubt if many "whites" in America have ancestors from those regions.

So - therefore, I think I am saying to me ethnic means heritage.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Juliette - Ethnic Beauty 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.