Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Joan541 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
J
About 4 years ago, I developed small fiber neuropathy. Well, it had probably been developing for many years but this is when the tingling and numb spots started showing up.

I started on a regular exercise program of yoga and it helped a lot. In the past year, I've added tai chi, which not only helps my body but my stress levels. I've found the tingling is much worse if I'm stressed.

I know exercise won't fix all ills and problems but it certainly did make an improvement in my own case and it sure can't hurt the situation.

Does anyone else follow a regular exercise program for their neuromuscular disease?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hello, Healthy Mom. Great question!

I have exercised regularly for many years, long before I found out that I have Charcot Marie Tooth. I have always been told by my physicians (since I was a teenager) that I must stay away from high impact exercise. More recently, my neuroogist has told me I should move towards very low to non-impact exercise.

With the progression of CMT, I have found some things that I can no longer do, or that I must limit. For example, I am unable to get up on my toes anymore, and my wrists and hands become irritated with some Yoga moves. If I "overdo it," my muscles take longer to recover then they should, and I become concerned that I could do damage that will not recover (as can happen in neuromuscular disease - overdoing exercise could be detrimental).

Still, I use light weights about 3 times per week. I walk and do low impact aerobics, Tai Chi, and Yoga as well. Almost everyday, I do a series of abdominal and back exercises that I was given by a physical therapist many years ago, as I have some lower back issues. I aim for 30 - 45 minutes of exercise, 6 days per week.

I just yesterday joined the YMCA with my family. I hope to be able to lower the impact to my feet and wrists by swimming, taking water aerobics classes, and pilates classes. The challenge will be making the extra time and effort required to go there to exercise, rather than exercising at home.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I have been a member of our local Y for about 4 years and love the water aerobics classes. They are great for low impact. I'm sure you'll find that these type of exercises will help you.

I find that I exercise longer if I go to a class. At home, I might do 30 minutes but at a class I'm committed to 60 minutes so that's good.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thanks, BoomerGal. I had the chance to go to my first water aerobics class last weekend. I really enjoyed the class, and it was a great workout.

I took my children swimming one time, as well. We have not been back later this week due to the blizzard that went through our area this week, but hopefully we'll go tomorrow.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
Hi Jori, I just started pool therapy last week, and I love it. I met the physical therapist, who teaches the class, when she addressed our support group a few months ago. Before I was diagnosed with CMT, I could barely climb the stairs. I had been starting my day by getting out of bed, taking a few steps, then falling on my face. My foot dropped and was getting caught on the carpet, but I couldn't feel this. After almost daily PT exercising to strengthen muscles that are not affected, I am stronger and able to climb stairs while hanging onto the railing. Also, we removed the carpet; so now I don't start my day tripping & falling. However, I'm afraid I may have overdone the exercising for my arms, perhaps using weights that were too strong, since my arms have dramatically worsened. So, I'm glad to see your caution about being careful not to over exercise. I wish my physical therapist had been paying more attention to what I was doing, once I started on their fitness program. Melinda

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi, Melinda. I'm glad to hear that you have been having some good results from exercise. But, I'm sorry to hear that you have had some difficulty with perhaps overdoing it with your arms. Make sure to consult with your physician about the negative results you seem to be having, and communicate with your physical therapist regarding your concerns.

To begin with, simply moving against the water, like in a water aerobics class, without weights would perhaps be safer. There are also exercise DVDs that use isometric exercises to gently tone and strenghten muscules, which may be more suitable for you. I particularly like a series called "Classical Stretch." (My tapes are old, and I'm not sure they are still available!)
Let me know how you are healing.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases

Moderated by  Jori-ND Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.