logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I awoke from a short nap earlier today with a Spirit Song playing in my mind. "Oh, how I want to be, living and loving in the Wind."

Even though it has been snowing for two days and we have about a foot of it on the ground, I hiked out to my little mountain and tied more prayer ties on the sage out there, in thanks to Great Spirit for the peace and joy I was feeling. I love being in Nature and when I was out there in the snow I felt such a strong connection to all Creation and to the one who was with me in my dream, singing with me.

I have been singing it to myself since I awoke. I have not felt this good since I do not know when. My spirit had been in a place of beauty and peace -- somewhere, where I have been happy many times before.

I think of the Native American peoples, long before European contact, and that they must have been children of the wind, living in peace in Nature.

What is your Spirit Song and where does it take you?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Phyllis, I don't have one but just wanted to say how much I appreciated your post. Something about it was calming....

OP Offline
Thank you, Angela.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hi Phyllis,

I enjoyed your post. I don't have a "spirit song" but I did enjoy reading about yours it was very calming. I always enjoy stopping by. Thank you for posting!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
OP Offline
Thank you very much, Tuculia.

Have you ever awoken with a song on your mind? Even if it is a song someone has already written, the words on your mind could be your Spirit Song.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 02/19/11 11:56 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I have different types of Spirit Songs.
Some are like a shot of adrenaline and I can feel my energy level increased after enjoying them, usually at high volume and sometimes with a little dancing.

Others are soothing and afterwards I feel more centered and relaxed. I also have a few that are cathargic. Sometimes we just need a good cry to release pent up frustration and emotion and I have a song or two to help my spirit with that.

As I was reading Phyllis' first post in this topic, The Cherokee Morning Song popped into my head. I don't know the English lyrics. It's sung in Cherokee, but my heart somehow seems to know them. I frequently find myself singing it. Not sure if it's for comfort or to keep me thankful, but it succeeds in both.

Last edited by lcp012586; 02/20/11 08:25 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
I love The Cherokee Morning Song. I think I know the translation, but am not real sure -- so I will not take away the beauty of it by trying.

I am trying to translate my spirit song into the Lakhota language and will need help with that. I know a few people who may be able to do that for me.

The Ghost Dance by Power Drums is one that makes me get up and dance. It is impossible for me to sit still when I hear it.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
LCP, I am listening to the Cherokee Morning Song right now. I sure makes my day start out with a good feeling.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The CD with that song is stuck in my car stereo. Will have to sing it from memory on my way into town. Otherwise it will now be stuck in my head all day. But that's not a bad thing.

It's been a little breezy here the past few days and my windchimes have serenaded me

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I just looked this song up on youtube and I absolutely love, love, love it! Any more suggestions?

I can vividly see sitting on the porch sipping chicory coffee, watching the view as mist hovers just above the lands with the sun rising in one of those rocking chairs made of cedar logs. Oh, spring...

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Rita Coolidge, her sister and niece are the voices in "Cherokee Morning Song." Their harmonies are exquisite! Rita's Mother was part Cherokee and this song was taught to them by a family member, an Aunt, I think.

They have 3 albums you might be able to sample on-line.
The self titled "Walela"
"Live in Concert" and "Unbearable Love"

Rita is a prolific recording artist and has worked on at least 7 movie soundtracks, as well as collaborating with numerous artists. She also performed with Robbie Robertson and others at the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

If you like orchestral music with a Native flare, I recommend Requiem for the Americas. This is a eclectic, but well crafted album and includes several contemporary American and Canadian artists. I used one of the soundtracks at a Horse Ranch wedding.

It's listed on Amazon which is good. I misplaced the CD, but kept the case with hopes of finding it. Found it and then promptly misplaced the case with the insert information!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
OP Offline
lcp, I have been singing the Cherokee Morning Song a lot lately. It is so pretty -- not that my voice is pretty! I cannot carry a tune, but I put the song on my computer as I am writing. It really inspires me.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I always take my portable CD player with me to Pow-Wow and that song is played repeatedly through out the day. I don't normally listen to many female vocalists, but this song touches something deep in my heart and soothes my soul (and nerves). I have caught myself singing it while in the Tribal kitchen so many times, the ladies must think my "needle" is stuck. That's a dating comment. Do they even make records anymore?

I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.