Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I received this quote in my inbox this morning:

Quote:
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."
-- Robert Heinlein, American Novelist

It really inspired me! It makes me realize how sometimes I am not clearly defining what I want to do or what I want to accomplish.

Sometimes I get really motivated, and define everything to the "T" but then I'll forget about it.

Last edited by Dreams/Inspiration Editor; 10/18/10 03:46 PM.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Deanna,

While daily trivia is very important (I'm a believer in routine), as you state, we must not forget our goals. Even 10 minutes a day focusing on goals adds up to an hour a week or more than 50 hours (or a work week) in one year! A little bit adds up to alot.

Last edited by leahmullen; 11/04/10 08:44 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I love Heinlein. I really do, even if his books got a little nutty there at the very end. smile I have a few quotes by him that I like.

Deanna, i think there is wisdom there. I think for the majority of my life I have been captivated by daily trivia. Working seriously with my priorities is really helping me move past this.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
YAY - I'm nearly halfway through my January goals list!

I have been captivated by daily trivia too LOL. I've been leaving my goals book out though, right next to my computer, and it's been so motivating to see it there all the time. And I've added like 10 things to it during the month!

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Lets not just pass off daily rituals as just trivia though, remember that there are long term and short term goals. Getting tasks done in the day are merely very short term goals, and whether it be cooking dinner in the evening or getting through work in the day, it is still a goal, and the achievement of it should be met with gratitude for yourself. I completely agree though that it is imporant not to lose sight of long term goals, and set aside a regular amount of time each day or week to helping to achieve them. I really like, Deanna that you keep a goal book, and you continue to add to it, this is great motivation. For others who dont find the book so useful, you can create a slideshow of images of your dreams, or even a dream board to hang in a room as a constant reminder :)

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hey Leadership Development laugh Welcome to the forums!

I was just flipping through my book LOL!

What I meant as trivia were those things that didn't move me toward my priorities. Like watching some lame-a@@ tv show, just to kill time. If I need rest, I could do that reading a book, or popping in a DVD of something uplifting and spiritual, ya know?

I have a new vision board I've been working on - I made one last year, but I just feel like I want an updated one laugh

Deanna Joseph

thanks for the welcome deanna! It is always hard to reprogramme ourselves to read or watch something that is going to better us, rather than one that does nothing. Maybe you could use the "Lame a@@ ones" (lol) as scheduled rewards for when you do achieve watching ones that benefit you. Because we still have to do a few things we enjoy and its nice to relax and not have to take something in all the time! But if its set as a reward then its a scheduled amount of time and get stuck back into it after! Great about your vision board, I love them! Mine is so bright and colourful, very hard not to stop and look at it every time i pass it

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Yes, that's an awesome idea. We should be able to reward ourselves with something decadent that serves no grander purpose than giving us respite and pleasure.

But really, that then falls to my priority of inner peace and well being LOL!!! laugh

Tonight's pleasure - reading my new Dresden Files book, then watching Smallville!!!

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes stress relief is definitely an important item in life and if a gently uplifting comedy fits the bill, then that's a good thing!

All in moderation smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I love Heinlein also. I read Have Spacesuit, Will Travel as a sixth grader (when the dinosaurs roamed the earth) and I have read everything else that I could lay my hands on. We are reading Tunnel in the Sky in my reading group at school.

A nutty Heinlein is still so very readable, but I agree. His later books did have a strange vibe.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.