Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I love the space,the people, the high mountains and the wild seas.

What do you love about Scotland?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
i love the magnificent scenery, the lochs are great and the food? my daughter lives in loch gilphead in argyle, ive got mates from glasgow and motherwell, i live in geordieland so im not that far away. you can buy houses in scotland that comes with plenty of land so if you want room scotlands the place to be.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Was sent to school in Scotland for almost two years Asha, and hated every minute. As the only �foreign� pupil the teachers made it obvious they did not want someone they thought of as �English� around, it was cold, grey and there did not seem much that was positive apart from the baps, Scottish tablet and the lovely real cream cakes.

However as an adult have always found each visit fascinating, and look forward to returning. There is a real feeling of history and tradition, and when away from the cities and in the wide open countryside a sense of untamed wildness somehow, together with really warm hearted and friendly people. Loved the atmosphere in the few remaining fishing villages also, and of course their fish and chip shops!

And as for the food, some of it just has to be the best to be found anywhere.

Can understand why so many Germans enjoy visiting again and again, or have it on their �must do� list and avividly watch programmes or read books about the country. Apart from the weather, and the language, it is very similar to Bavaria, but nevertheless �foreign�, and in so many ways quite unlike any other part of the UK.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Asha - Scottish Culture
...What do you love about Scotland?
Although some of them seem quite incomprehensible, the varied and beautiful Scottish accents! (JOY)

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have never been to Scotland, Asha, but would love to visit. I love the language/accents, the scenic lands, the history, the culture, the folklore, the castles, Robert Burns .... just about anything there.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Skyelawe I have a friend who lived in Loch Gilphead for a while. She has good memories of it.

Do you get up to Scotland much?

I agree with you that Scotland is a good place if you want room. Even the roads seem wider (or is it just that there are less cars?)...

Last edited by Asha - Scottish Culture; 02/12/11 05:32 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine your experience at school in Scotland sounds like hard work... How old were you and where were you at school?
Here a common term for English seems to be "incomers".

It sounds as though as an adult you have been able to experience and appreciate the country as a whole, an awareness you may not have had when you were younger.

Interesting comparison to Barvaria - Scotland being somewhere similar yet different. The cold grey weather - I can hear the swish of cars moving through rain outside, and the sky is grey. Yet I walk by the sea in rain and find the wildness of the water beautiful, knowing I am closer to the earth and elements than city living could ever be.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
hi asha i dont get up to scotland as much now but since i am now back up in the north east i will do, i was in south yorkshire for 42 years, never lked the place there , i was only 16 went i left co-durham so now im much nearer to scotland i can go anytime. my brother loves it especially the highlands. billy connolly is always making documentaries about it as he comes from up there, ive a mate from springburn who lives now in donegal right next to daniel o donnell the singer, i know danny well through my mate, he has made a fortune singing.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Joy I too enjoy the accents. I think my favourite is the Orkney accent - soft and musical.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Phyllis I think you would love Scotland. I see links between Scottish and Native American cultures in living close to the land and the elements. The mythology and folklore of Scotland and the islands is also fascinating - some stories borrowed and adapted from Ireland and other countries, some homegrown. And always the strength of the oral tradition, meaning stories have been shaped, changed and developed as they passed through generations.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Skyelaw thanks for your response. Billy Connolly's documentaries are good. I also like Neil Oliver's series on the history of Scotland.

Good to hear you are living further north so that visiting Scotland is more possible.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
theres a hill in scotland what we call electric brae? when you go down the hill in a vehicle you have to accelerate, but coming up you just dont need to touch the throttle? sounds mad doesnt it. apparently its an optic illusion? with the way the land is. there are more optical illusions in everyday life even, so believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see - this quote comes from chinese mystics, another is- the summer insect will not know what ice is, and the frog in the well will not know the immensity of the sky.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well Asha my father, bless his soul, called my Scottish school experience �Character Building�, as indeed it was. He had been made deaf in one ear, by being hit over the side of the head with a book by a priest at his Catholic boarding school and I guess he had his priorities about right, certainly very much worse things happen to many others every single day and for me there was no permanent damage.

Had just celebrated my 13th birthday, the school was in Aberdeenshire and ironically had been sent there because my father thought I should know something about his/our roots. He came from generations of Scots back to heaven knows when, none of whom had ever left the country for any length of time. However his poor mother, also Scottish, when very heavily pregnant with him had actually been sent back to Scotland from India, where they were stationed temporarily, to give birth there just so �the child� would be Scots born.

As was the custom until the 80�s in Scotland, at school was strapped across the palm of my hand with a leather tawse, strap, in front of the class many times, there are permanent marks across my right thumb, because no matter how hard I tried just found it impossible to roll �rr� etc. the exact way it should apparently be done to create the correct accent. This of course, as it would with most kids, led to studying hard to compensate for all other obvious failures, however straight A�s, as they are called now, in each end of term report instead of making the situation better in fact made it worse.

It was when Scottish Nationalism and a wish for independence was just coming to the fore, so in retrospect of course it is possible to see there were reasons, and if it had any long term effect it is only a feeling of antipathy towards any xenophobia, nationalism, or prejudice of any type and in any country.

Living in a Europe with open borders it is obvious every day that, despite our differences, in very many ways we as human beings are all so similar.

Walked out in the end and refused to return, and it was not until my eldest son studied at St. Andrews that I began to know and appreciate what a super country Scotland is, and how genuinely warm hearted the people are����..and in addition they really do have fantastic cream cakes, Scottish Tablet is just so addictive I would double my weight if I lived there more than two months, and the fish has to be amongst the best, if not the best, in the world!

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

D
Gecko
Gecko
D
I've never been to Scotland -- only through books and movies. It would be wonderful to visit some day. I love the Scottish accent and would love to see the landscape in person, but also the old architecture and castles.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I would SOOOO love to visit Scotland!! I dream that I could get a summer booking there, and just sing for my supper all summer long!

I love the accents too!

The green hills.... the beaches.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Deanna I remember hearing a fascinating radio interview with a couple of young men who travelled though England (I think southern England) singing/making music with old English songs for board/lodging/food. I'd love to know their names if anyone knows who they are - it was one of those things I half heard, which left a deep impression.

I also think that the life of the travelling musician/bard is one that is echoed in the tours current musicians/singers make.

Scotland has some wonderful music festivals that draw people from around the globe - for instance Loopallu (Ullapool - where it is based - spelled backwards) and Celtic Connections

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/01/24 03:16 PM
Spooled Threads and Deterioration
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/29/24 01:57 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 02/28/24 12:50 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/23/24 11:02 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 02/23/24 09:05 AM
Bird Buddy
by Angie - 02/22/24 08:18 PM
Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/21/24 05:33 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/20/24 03:20 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 02/19/24 08:57 PM
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:38 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.