Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I love the space,the people, the high mountains and the wild seas.

What do you love about Scotland?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
i love the magnificent scenery, the lochs are great and the food? my daughter lives in loch gilphead in argyle, ive got mates from glasgow and motherwell, i live in geordieland so im not that far away. you can buy houses in scotland that comes with plenty of land so if you want room scotlands the place to be.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Was sent to school in Scotland for almost two years Asha, and hated every minute. As the only �foreign� pupil the teachers made it obvious they did not want someone they thought of as �English� around, it was cold, grey and there did not seem much that was positive apart from the baps, Scottish tablet and the lovely real cream cakes.

However as an adult have always found each visit fascinating, and look forward to returning. There is a real feeling of history and tradition, and when away from the cities and in the wide open countryside a sense of untamed wildness somehow, together with really warm hearted and friendly people. Loved the atmosphere in the few remaining fishing villages also, and of course their fish and chip shops!

And as for the food, some of it just has to be the best to be found anywhere.

Can understand why so many Germans enjoy visiting again and again, or have it on their �must do� list and avividly watch programmes or read books about the country. Apart from the weather, and the language, it is very similar to Bavaria, but nevertheless �foreign�, and in so many ways quite unlike any other part of the UK.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Asha - Scottish Culture
...What do you love about Scotland?
Although some of them seem quite incomprehensible, the varied and beautiful Scottish accents! (JOY)

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have never been to Scotland, Asha, but would love to visit. I love the language/accents, the scenic lands, the history, the culture, the folklore, the castles, Robert Burns .... just about anything there.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Skyelawe I have a friend who lived in Loch Gilphead for a while. She has good memories of it.

Do you get up to Scotland much?

I agree with you that Scotland is a good place if you want room. Even the roads seem wider (or is it just that there are less cars?)...

Last edited by Asha - Scottish Culture; 02/12/11 05:32 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine your experience at school in Scotland sounds like hard work... How old were you and where were you at school?
Here a common term for English seems to be "incomers".

It sounds as though as an adult you have been able to experience and appreciate the country as a whole, an awareness you may not have had when you were younger.

Interesting comparison to Barvaria - Scotland being somewhere similar yet different. The cold grey weather - I can hear the swish of cars moving through rain outside, and the sky is grey. Yet I walk by the sea in rain and find the wildness of the water beautiful, knowing I am closer to the earth and elements than city living could ever be.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
hi asha i dont get up to scotland as much now but since i am now back up in the north east i will do, i was in south yorkshire for 42 years, never lked the place there , i was only 16 went i left co-durham so now im much nearer to scotland i can go anytime. my brother loves it especially the highlands. billy connolly is always making documentaries about it as he comes from up there, ive a mate from springburn who lives now in donegal right next to daniel o donnell the singer, i know danny well through my mate, he has made a fortune singing.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Joy I too enjoy the accents. I think my favourite is the Orkney accent - soft and musical.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Phyllis I think you would love Scotland. I see links between Scottish and Native American cultures in living close to the land and the elements. The mythology and folklore of Scotland and the islands is also fascinating - some stories borrowed and adapted from Ireland and other countries, some homegrown. And always the strength of the oral tradition, meaning stories have been shaped, changed and developed as they passed through generations.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/01/24 03:16 PM
Spooled Threads and Deterioration
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/29/24 01:57 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 02/28/24 12:50 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/23/24 11:02 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 02/23/24 09:05 AM
Bird Buddy
by Angie - 02/22/24 08:18 PM
Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/21/24 05:33 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/20/24 03:20 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 02/19/24 08:57 PM
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:38 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.