Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
L
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I need to post this in the mental health forum as well but most doctors do not believe in psychic senses so I thought I'd post this here first.

There are several mental disorders in which the afflicted person believes he has supernatural powers (illusions of grandeur) in which he can read minds, talk to God, see visions. I always thought that those with mental illnesses had mis-wired brains and had thinner "veils" so they could see the spirit world.

But maybe I am wrong. Maybe mental illness strictly is a brain disorder that causes false perceptions (ie. seeing people that aren't there.) Believe me, as a person who has had visions, dreams, thoughts, impressions and experiences with the spiritual dimension, I often questioned my sanity! How co I know that I am more psychically intuitive versus mentally ill?

What are your thoughts about mental illness and psychic abilities?

Last edited by flutterby378; 01/11/10 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I thought I had written an article on this one, but I think I started to and then felt it would be misunderstood, like I was advocating ignoring mental health issues.

I think I went the generic route with this article.

Working with the Sixth Sense

But with the disclaimer (seek medical health attention if you need to)I have a lot to say about mental health issues and sensitivities.

Anxiety - hands down

Sleeplessness - sometimes

Heightened emotions - yes

Isolation - depends

Self medicating - Depends on the person. It may be sometimes or often or not at all but finding others like them, an outlet often helps.

Social or learning difficulties - most likely

Misdiagnosis of ADD/ADHD - often

Seeing or hearing things others don't - often

Preoccupation - hands down

Heightened Empathy - Hands down

So if you think to the average day or people who are focused on family, keeping their job, paying bills, socializing with the populous or simply the ones that go out to eat or shop constantly or work 12 hours a day and just do whatever because they feel the need to for attention, lack of happiness, etc. Those things, theswe days could be deemed average or normal.

If you're sensitive or what I call a precog, Those are the things that may be deemed abnormal and pretty much mental health issues are probably going to be in there at least to to rule out. Even by family members. But things are changing as more and more mysteries come to light and are researched.

From what I've experienced, it isn't the truth or what's real that people in general like to have discussed or brought out into the open. Those are their secrets. So if you're the one who sees the secret, you don't have to go too far back in history to see or understand what happens to the messenger.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 01/27/11 02:27 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Interestingly psychiatric problems and mental health problems can go together. Use of psychic energy seems to cause changes in brain chemistry and vice versa. Psychotherapists and psychiatric practitioners - once they trust you - will tell you of cases of shared dreams with patients. Also you will hear of incidents of remote viewing and even psychokinesis during intense therapy sessions.

When I was doing my counselling training I sometimes used Tarot cards as a therapeutic focus and the teachers were quite concerned at first thinking I was doing readings. Fortunately I knew the jargon and said it was Gestalt and ended up demostrating the technique in front of the entire school. The Principle exalted it as "Therapy as an Art Form"!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Wow, an open-minded educator!! I think many health professionals are finally realizing the need to tailor therapies and treatments to the patient and that one pill does not fit all. With the increase in varied treatments, the hard part now is finding the one which works for a patient if they do have the correct diagnosis of a disorder.

With abilities and sensitivities there are so many matching symptoms, as Elleise listed. I'm sure I share this with many here. I've been called "crazy" for as long as I can remember. It's fortunate my family wasn't wealthy. Otherwise, most of my youth would probably have been spent on the "Couch" rather than playing in the woods.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I had two male friends and a female friend who were both diagnosed with schizophrenia and all of them had illusions of grandeur.

All of them spoke about having mystical abilities like being able to make the trees tops move with their thoughts. They all thought they were sent with messages from God for the benefit of mankind. The two men were schizophrenic because of drug misuse. The female had always been this way.

All three became very sexually explicit during conversations but said they were unable to perform with another person.

Without the medication they all slipped back into schizophrenic mode, but with the medication they had bad side effects. One of my male friends died because they medication damaged his already bad heart.

It is very sad and you need a lot of patience to deal with people suffering from mental trauma, they can become dangerous too. I was nearly stabbed by both men.

They all used to spend hours alone, talking to themselves, drawing strange diagrams. Both the men had contact with 'aliens'.

After one tiring altercation where I lost my temper and shouted 'You are just crazy', my friend said to me 'No it is you who is crazy, define crazy.'

They also had heightened senses in taste and smell.

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
That's 2 more common "symtoms" between people with abilities and those with brain chemistry disorders. Heightened senses and the need for "alone" time.

For me both taste and smell are heightened, as well as my sense of touch and hearing. I can identify ingredients in food. I am extremely sensitive to odors and chemicals. I literally jump with unexpected sounds and often close my eyes while working with my fingers. I can feel it better than I can see it.

I need my time alone and some of my friends do think it an excessive amount. However, quiet time is when I can rest and recharge without distraction. I'm almost 50 and learning I need a little more, especially when dealing with emotional or "ability" issues. When my nerves are a bit frazzled, my senses are painfully acute.

Many times I have questioned my sanity. I was in grief counseling shortly after my daughter was born and voiced my concern. My counselor, both recognized and respected, responded that if I was aware enough to question my sanity, it was one less thing to worry about.

My heart goes out to you, your friends, and their families. Hopefully soon there will be safe treatments for schizophrenia.

Last edited by lcp012586; 01/27/11 02:38 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Witty response. Define crazy. It's clever because you're being ask to define YOUR perception, which will be an illusion based off of your upbringing and personal background as to what that definition is. Genious!

I don't have any experience with people who feel or have experienced being able to make things move. I've gone to suggested websites and forums and there will be discussion of people telling others how to create a windstorm? Fire?

As it is, from my experience, I haven't seen anything physical that would show me that a person can do these things with their minds. It may be possible but I've just not seen it. It seems like to many variables would have to be controlled to produce those things.

I do believe mental illness has a lot to do with chemical composition and brain connectivity.

Mystic ablitlities, I don't even know I like that term, because there's nothing mystic about it. It's a natural ability and the bible is slathered with gifts of the Spirit.

What we do at the house is I see something and write it down and put it in an envelope. I don't discuss what it is with my husband even if we discuss an event or situation at hand.

Days, weeks later, the person, the event, the headline, the promotion, action, etc. come to pass, I go back to the room and ask him to open the envelope and he knows what that means when I ask him to do that, lol. wink

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I agree there was nothing mystical about the tree tops moving, just the wind! A lot of mental illness is imbalance in brain chemicals.

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Developing the ability to influence objects with the mind is one of the basic building blocks of magick. I'll have to do an article on some of the techniques to develop this skill that we used to use in Mexico. My Brujo friend Jim frequently caused smoky buses to stall if they stopped by his shoe shine stand. Mostly by stopping the spark plugs from working.

I caused quite a stir in the Portsmouth Surestart Centre yesterday when I moved a piece of paper balanced on my Atheme point by concentrating on it to demonstrate that the energies used in magick had a real-world basis.

On the hyperacute senses note this is considered the 'springboard' for genuine psychic skills, but it is a delicate balance. This is why traditional Craft covens spend a lot of time making sure their members are mentally stable and do not lose sight of shared reality.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Why does a psychiatrist often ask a patient, "Do you hear voices?" Is that a sign of mental illness according to psychiatrists? I sometimes hear voices upon awakening in the early morning. I do not always know what the "voices" are saying, but, they stop as soon as I open my eyes. Does that term me mentally ill? I think not -- I think one can tap into other realms when in deep sleep or even in deep meditation.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.