logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
fortat Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi all..I just learn how to tat around this last 6 months. And i have a serious problem about how to tie -the last chain to the first ring- thightly...

Happens all the time to me, after i tie it thightly (i thought it was thight enough...) then i cut the rest of the thread, the knot is easily pull of...Some of my work is wasted because i'm no longer able to connect the last chain to the first ring...

Is there anybody can help me?
Thanks a bunch...
wink

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I cut my ends to about six inches and always use a reef/square knot and a half then pull the ends through my last chain or ring (as appropriate) before I trim the ends close to the work.

You can also cheat and put a small drop of glue on the knot.

Marilyn

T
T
I like to tat over a loop of sewing thread that I then use to pull the end back through a few stitches. I connect the shuttle thread of the chain and then pull it back under the last few stitches of the chain.

T
T
hello...I tie the chain to the ring using a square knot, then cut the strings so they have about a 6 inch tail. I then thread a needle onto a string and sew it into a few of the tatted knots I had made. Then, cut the string. This hides the ends of the strings and secures them. (This is much the same way quilters end their threads.) It takes time, but is truly the finishing touch.

T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
As you can see, there are a number of ways to finish off your tatting. Personally, I do a simple square knot, leaving a few inches tail. After weaving my needle through the core of my double stitches, I thread the needle and pull the needle through.

Beverly Elrod
Tatting
I must tat too tightly. I've tried several times to weave the tail thru some stitches to secure, but CANNOT get the thread to go thru. So, I just tie knots as tight and use a dab of glue.

Keep on Rockin'!
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Kyrene, there is a better way to hide your ends. As you tat the ring/chain that will be the ending point, use helping loops. Insert the helping loop following the core thread as each half stitch is made. Also use a helping loop in the last ring/chain made. Cut ends about 6". Insert one end into the first helping loop and pull on the knot of the helping loop so that it moves through the ring/chain bringing your tail with it. When the tail also exits the ring/chain with the helping loop, you can carefully trim it off.

Placing the helping loop along side the core thread as you tat creates that tiny bit of extra room you need to hide the tails.
If you have questions, feel free to email me directly: tatting@bellaonline.com

Georgia Seitz
TATTING

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.