logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Oh, to work with 11/0's again will be a godsend. I swear that it seems some of the 16/0's would pass through the hole of an 11/0.

Now I will have to come up with a lot of projects us use up the leftover beads from this endeavor, but the varied colors give endless options.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
YIPEE! The lane stitch project of my military ribbons is complete with appropriate attachments. Now I have to remove from the embroidery hoop I used to hold the chamois material taut and mount onto a backing board. Actually a metal plate that will use magnets to hold onto the ribbon shirt.

Awesome! Such dedication to your project. Working with such tiny beads must not be very easy - I admire your determination, Beetle. It must be difficult to hold on to such fine needles, not to mention being able to SEE the beads.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 01/11/11 12:06 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
Oh, to work with 11/0's again will be a godsend. I swear that it seems some of the 16/0's would pass through the hole of an 11/0.

Now I will have to come up with a lot of projects us use up the leftover beads from this endeavor, but the varied colors give endless options.

How about some earrings for your wife to coordinate with your ribbon shirt? I bet she would like that.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Good idea but she don't do Pow Wows very well. She has never captured the emotional flows that come with the drum & circle. Now the grandaughter is a different story. Anything to do with Native Americans & grandpa has her unduivided interest.

-B-
OP Offline
How old is granddaughter? Bet she would love something made by grandpa with those beads. A bracelet and anklet set?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
13; & she's already dug into my pony beads to make necklaces, bracelets & cat collars for Indy (on elastic thread). Her & mom have lived off & on with us over the years and currently have their apartment a mere 5 miles away - close enough for us to be able to support them, while enough distance for privacy. As a single parent doing full time government position & finished college, the added support is welcomed.

They spent some of her early years with my in-laws in CA & NV. Hearing my step-daughter (shoot - daughter is enough; was in her life the past 24 years. Met her mom when she was 9) - back to hearing daughter use the term 'grandpa' made it hard at the aerly age to differentiate between between me & father-in-law, so I was annoited at Grandpa Longhair, since I wear a post-military ponytail (occ. side braids)

I beaded very small rosettes (diameter was 15 11/0 beads across) 4-color Lakota medicine wheels with vertical fringing on the bottom to use as earrings. WINNER! (BTW: The backing leather was from the same chamois I used for the recently completed lane stitch project. In fact, another medicine wheel has already been started & had to be worked around when mounting on the embroidery hoop.)

She really wants to do bead-wrapped arrows after napping her own arrowheads to hang on her wall in a beaded quiver.

She's not any direct 'blood' of mine, but she sure has taken to my footsteps for craftwork & outdoor activities.

-B-
OP Offline
"Grandpa Longhair" - that is so precious. Seems like she is for sure picking up some of your talents and interests. Isn't it wonderful to help raise grandchildren?

Bead wrapped arrows would be so nice and very impressive.

I have helped to raise my grandson and he loves to watch me bead. The buffalo I beaded for him is his favorite piece. I gave it to him for his 12th birthday and he shed a tear when he opened the package. He keeps it in his bedroom and says "Buffalo follows me everywhere."

Size 11 beads are the smallest I have ever used and I love them for lane work and applique work. I am going to bead another buffalo for my brother this year. I have till August to get that done. Need to finish my bracelets first and start on a medicine bag for a friend.

Beading is one of my favorite crafts. It is very therapeutic and that is when I experience deep spiritual connections to the peoples of the past -- especially sitting here with the little mountain to gaze at when resting the eyes.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
I had an appointment today with my doctor. We were chatting and he asked me if I have any hobbies. I told him about my beadwork and he asked me to bring some pieces in next time I come. He loves beadwork and is very interested in beading. Hmmm...maybe he will purchase some pieces from me. Or - maybe as in the old days I can pay him with beadwork instead of money. Hmmm?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Wouldn't that be nice???

-B-
OP Offline
I have never made earrings. I bet the "small rosettes (diameter was 15 11/0 beads across) 4-color Lakota medicine wheels with vertical fringing on the bottom to use as earrings." you made are very pretty. I will have to try beading a rosette and see how I do with that.

My grandson would like me to make him a medicine wheel with the Lakota colors. I will be using a 6" metal ring, wrap it in a rawhide strip then go from there. I do not have a pattern, just my imagination to work from.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 01/15/11 12:05 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.