logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#647566 12/04/10 07:27 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
I did not breast feed my now 23 year old daughter (only child) because I did not want to deal with having to go to the restroom at my job to pump milk.

Yes, in those days, we did not have a "special" room for this.

What are your thoughts on these "special" rooms?
Did you use one?
Do you think every job should have one as needed?

Thank you smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
I think that every workplace who has a mother who wants to pump at work should allow her time and a comfortable, private space to pump. This is challenging in some work environments, but easily accomplished in many. Sometimes, though, this space doubles as an office or other comfortable room that someone might have to give up for a little bit while the mom pumps.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I think the more that women's workplaces can do to support her choice to breastfeed, the better. The truth is, they benefit, because her baby will (statistically) be healthier and require less disruption an sick days, the longer she nurses.

I don't know that there needs to be a "special breastfeeding room" dedicated to that purpose in most workplaces, although it is certainly reasonable for larger employers, but I don't think that having a lockable space (not a bathroom stall, yuk!) where they can have some privacy and adequate break time to pump is not too much to ask, certainly. There are many health reasons in fact that could make use of a space like this (blood testing for diabetes, breathing treatments, injury care and more). For all workplaces to be aware of where they can make accommodations for employees is an act of responsibility and caring for their workers.

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I agree that while an employer shouldn't have to provide a bf'ing room, it's probably in their best interest to do so. The easier they make it for working new moms to be good moms, the more productive and happy those moms will be, even when they have to be at work, away from their babies. Keeping good workers happy is one of the best things any company can do to improve its bottom line!

--Maria

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks everyone for the AWESOME responses to my post smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.