Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Wow, Dianne. Being Japanese, my family has experienced some racism, too. We moved to the mainland US to live in an area that was mostly white. I used to get flak from people young and old about Pearl Harbor and such. But that was decades ago and it has gotten much better...

Although my mother and sister traveled to the South and a restaurant waitress refused to serve them. The manager rushed over to apologize and he served them himself.

Anyway, Alice, I grew up in a household of only girls, too. No boy siblings. Boys were fascinating to us because they were so novel. My daughter grew up sandwiched between two boys and she is not impressed. They're pains to her and she can't imagine any other boy being any different. LOL.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I remember walking to the Country Club Plaza on Christmas day during my 7th grade year. We were all wearing sweaters in the Missouri winter, and it was so mild. We saw Kings of the Sun-an exotic film for the time. We walked home sharing the wonder of the film and the weather. Our laughter must have been heard by many.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Dianne - it sounds like you had a great Dad.

My parents had their faults but they were good at keeping stress out of our lives. I'm not sure how they did it considering we moved every year.

This thread is making me homesick. (:

Alice, Senior Living Editor
Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Me, too! Keep the memories coming!

Here's another of mine...

Midnight noodles. My mother, who stayed up late doing crossword puzzles, would get hungry in the middle of the night. I'd wake up to the smell of delicious Hawaii saimin noodles cooking on the stove. I'd stumble into the kitchen, rubbing my eyes until they grew accustomed to the light, while my sisters soon followed.

My mother would end up making saimin with green onions, char siu, kamaboko and even won ton, if we were lucky! My father laughed and we'd go back to sleep with warm, satisfied tummies.

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
That horse picture reminds me of one in my album. The horse was bucking and I'm swinging a cowboy hat. The horse was fake and my sisters have identical pictures. It's my favorite childhood picture even though I can't remember the day.

The Hawaiin foods are all Greek to me! My favorite food memory is the bologna, cheese, and white bread sandwiches we had while driving across country. Our secret ingredient was potato chips in the sandwich. Great travel food and we traveled alot.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

M
Shark
Shark
M
Thank you Alice for this great question. It is so nice to read the memories here.

One of mine is sitting beneath the magnolia tree at my Grandmother's house watching my brother chase after the butterflies in the flower garden, and then seeing my Grandma's beautiful smiling face pop out of the door to tell us, "Dinner's ready!"

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
The magnolia trees must have smelled wonderful. Like the flowers in Japan.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

T
T
Yes many of them. They come and go at times when I am not even expecting it. Who knows what are subconcious stores as far as our memories go. I can be working on a project or housework and a childhood memory will come to me like the time I was in a Christmas play in the 3rd grade. Or when I was 12 years old I received my first stereo. I remember some things we fondness and other times not so much.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Isn't that life, tina? Fond times and not-so-fond times. If I thought of the not-so-great times, I'd relive all of the bad feelings that I have moved beyond.

So, I like to look back on the times that made me smile. Here is one that is not-so-fond but not really a bad memory either:

In elementary school, all the classes performed Christmas songs. It was festive and nerve-wracking at the same time. I looked forward to the end of the program when we all rushed back to class to get a pretty Christmas tree cut-out cookie with green sugar sprinkles and a candy cane. You see, most people think of them as ho-hum holiday treats but being Japanese, we didn't bake or buy those traditional American icons. How I looked forward to getting my own little Christmas tree cookie! It would be perfect to go along with the "Oh, Christmas tree!" song we sang in the show.

But each year, I never ran back to the classroom fast enough and all the other kids had grabbed all the cookies. Sometimes, I got a small cracked corner of a cookie and maybe the cracked candy cane, but never a whole sugar-sprinkled Christmas tree! The crumbs I got tasted sweet and crunchy, but I was always disappointed to see the empty box.

As a mother, I baked holidays cookies for my children and decorated the house with all the Christmas trimmings a child could want. Stockings, wreath, candles, and plenty of colorful sugar-sprinkled cookies!

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Wouldn't it be great to go back in time and give that little girl a sugar cookie.

I love hearing your memories of Hawaii. My family spent a week at a military base in Hawaii when I was in 4th grade. Dad had been in Vietnam and he met us there. I remember Mom and Dad pushed their twin beds together. My sisters cracked up over it and since they thought it was funny so did I.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.