logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I'm just curious how many people would be willing to swim in the exact location that the movie Jaws was filmed in. I suppose it would depend on how long ago you watched the movie.

I have recently been writing about this location at the New England Travel site and it is bringing back many fond memories of the region.
You can read about it here. Magical Menemsha in Chilmark

Here are a few photos of a foggy morning in the salt pond where the mechanical shark from Jaws was set up back when the movie was being filmed there. Of course no one would swim in this amount of fog. It would be very dangerous, but if it were a clear day, would you swim here?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
The gentleman in the red suspenders in this photo was the old harbormaster of Menemsha back when Jaws was filmed here. He said it was a very interesting time to be at Menemsha. He told me all about what it was like to be a part of that filming. Another article for another time, literally.

Chick was a fascinating local character. He sat in his harbormaster's shack for hours on end during the off-season carving birds, fish and other local wildlife from the area. I sure wish I had bought one his carvings from back in those days. I would cherish it. You don't always realize how special your days are while they are happening though, and you don't realize that some day they will be a sacred memory in the archives of your mind.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Yes definitely I would swim here, the times I've gone it was not good swimming weather. My boyfriend grew up on the Cape and saw Jaws 800 too many times smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I have to say that I saw "Jaws" on the Cape that summer and the first time I went swimming afterwards I felt definitely creepy about swimming in Vineyard Sound, right across from where the film was made. But even though I could hear that music beating in my head, I went in anyway. But I didn't go out very far!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
The truth is, that while I do swim here, I have never seen the movie and never intend to. I am familiar with the music you are talking about. It has become so synonymous with impending peril that I think that most people who haven't seen the movie know the tune.

I love to swim but try to stay in shallow water. I was once snorkeling in Aruba and it was a deep shipwreck area where the local fish were bigger than I was used to. I had a panic attack that was so bad that I scrambled back into the tour boat in a hurry. It spooked some other tourists and they too scurried back into the boat wanting to know what I saw that caused me to act that way. The boat captain had a bit of a situation on his hands and was not thrilled with me. He seemed even more annoyed that I hadn�t seen anything other than regular fish out there. I just got it into my head that a shark was heading up at me from the inky depths and I couldn�t shake it.

I handle it better now, but there was a time when just the Shark Week commercials on TV caused me to leave the television turned off for a week at a time fish

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.