Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Students have a responsibility to themselves and to the other students in a course to use good netiquette and to help promote learning in the course. To do this you will need to participate in a courteous manner in the discussions taking place on the discussion board for the course.

Read my article here:
Students� Responsibilities in Online Discussions

Do you agree that you should participate in online discussion? Are there other things to consider that I haven't mentioned in the article?

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Elizabeth, great piece!

One point that really stuck out for me was the length of the responses. So many, use those "I agree" statements only when dealing with discussion boards. Agree about what? Which point? There needs to be more to it than that. If I cannot add more to the conversation, I do not respond to that posting.

Gecko
Gecko
"I agree" LOL

Okay, I couldn't resist. I know in my prior classes (and hope in my future classes) that I agree statements are not acceptable as replies. It isn't as if you're sitting in a room having a discussion and can see head nods and shakes or eyes rolling. Discussion boards are just that .... discussions.

If I have an issue reading someone's post (usually because their grammar or sentence structure is so horrendous I cannot figure out what the heck they're saying), I move on. If I agree with their post, I state the reason I agree. I may agree with 90% of their statements and need to state what I agree with and WHY I agree. Sometimes the post will bring up a question to consider or make me think of another point, in agreement or disagreement, that might need to be brought up.

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
I just don't think they get it. Too much twitter and facebook to understand a discussion.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
How true Rebecca! Too many people are losing the ability to think about problems and possible solutions and think everything only needs a one sentence statement to engage others.

However, I can't help but think that the education system today is not expecting or requiring or teaching students how to think. Some good teachers are, but is it possible that many teachers haven't been taught to think for themselves and therefore are not capable of teaching others to do so?

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Elizabeth, I can absolutely agree. I am watching my own children going through the school system and I am mortified at some of the classes and their expectations or lack of to be precise. One of my daughter's essays was a perfect score. Her facts were good. Her argument sound. Her spelling atrocious. Why did she get a perfect score? Her teachers say that spelling does not count in other classes. There goes the future.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Exactly Rebecca. I don't think when the student writes an essay making good points that they should fail because of bad grammar or spelling but how will they learn that it isn't perfect and learn to do better in those areas if they think everything is perfect already?

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Right. I praised her for what she did good. But I pointed out why spelling was important. It will bite her in college later if she has a teacher worth anything.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I agree completely and at Northeastern they say explicitly in every class that while the topic of THAT CLASS might not be writing, that Northeastern as a whole expects students to use proper spelling and sentence structure. So you will be penalized in any class for not having those basics down.

It doesn't help a person to ignore issues with their papers. It only lets them perpetuate their problems.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.