logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
My son said the most hilarious thing this morning "I would like to file a mom complaint, my school lunches aren't good enough" then he laughed and hugged me.

We have a pretty honest relationship so even though I know he was joking there was a bit of truth in the jest so I'm wondering how to make his lunches more exciting. I refuse to let him eat the school lunches that most of the kids love (it's all highly processed fast food).

If you home school well I guess you're lucky cuz you don't have to worry about this but that isn't an option for me right now so need to work with what's in front of me right now : )

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
That's cute! How sweet that he laughed and hugged you after. Some kids would pout or be angry.

What are you packing in his lunches now? And how old is he?

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
He just turned 11 (going on 22) and his lunches are things he really likes but maybe he's just bored right now:

all natural pb on whole grain
pastrami and swiss on whole grain (a favorite of his)
granola bar (we buy 3-4 different brands for variety)
roast beef, turkey pepperoni and cheese wrap
jerky sticks or strips (all types especially the super spicy kind he loves and says all the kids always try to steal from him)
chips or crackers of some kind (this is a special treat he doesn't always get this)
apples and carrots (he prefers to eat most of his fruit and veg at home i.e. kale, chard, spinach, berries, oranges, celery)

Also water or sometimes all natural juice or lemonade. Wow, no wonder he's bored : ) He eats a good breakfast and a big lunch when he gets home at 3 p.m. so what he really wants is fun snacks (mini meals) he can have at snack time and lunch time. He is a bottomless pit and so skinny too.

Have you checked out the sandwiches page here on BellaOnline? The Editor is away for a couple of weeks over Christmas, but I bet she could be a big help!

Sandwiches page
Contact Sandwiches Editor

Margaret Dorraine Baines-Turberfield
Role Playing Games Editor
Come visit my forum, too!
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
We have a sandwich site! Cool, thanks for the link.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi Monica!

I used to be the Cooking for Kids editor here, and there is a "School Lunch Ideas" thread over there. And, I agree with Raine--the sandwich site rocks (along with all the other food sites which I spend way too much time on, lol)...

When I was the Cooking for Kids editor, some of the Moms shared with me that when their kids got bored with school lunches, they turned it into a game/challenge. The mom, dad and children came up with at least five different lunchtime meals that they had not tried before. It could be having a leftovers from a delicious dinner for a school lunch a day or two later, or having a different type of bread or wrap for the sandwich, along with adding a new type of mustard (honey mustard, for example, instead of regular mustard).

Also, she began having her kids help prepare their own school lunches (in a fun way, not a "You don't like it-fine, you make it" way), and it also got them excited about the grocery store--they did a challenge to try one new fruit and one new vegetable each week. The key was that she let the kids pick it out themselves, which made them feel grown up. When they found ones that they enjoyed, she'd look for new recipes to incorporate those fruits and veggies into school lunches or snacks. She still relied on the basics of course, but this helped he so much during the "bored of school lunches" times.

Good luck!

Last edited by Adoption Editor; 12/14/10 05:09 PM.
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Thanks for all the ideas. Somebody actually suggested this
Quote:
children came up with at least five different lunchtime meals that they had not tried before
so I will definitely try that.

He likes helping with dinner and making his own snacks when he's home so making his own lunches might be a good idea too : )

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Wow...I've been sick all week, but what a great discussion! I had no idea there was a sandwiches site! Given that I *do* homeschool, lunch boredom is a huge issue for us! What great ideas y'all have. Thank you :-)

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Laura,

I'm so sorry you've been sick, and hope you are feeling better! smile

Happy Holidays!

Not sure how old he is...but my son is 13 and I let him make his own lunches. With veto power of course. But you can stock the fridge with what you want and what he likes and let him put it together. Takes the burden off you and teaches him to be self sufficient!

Moderated by  Laura - Sons 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.