Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#649256 12/12/10 03:36 PM
V
VickyS Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi :) I'm a 15 year old french student, and I'm applying at this organization that lets students travel abroad, alone, for one month. We have to give in a report of some kind, and organize everything ourselves. If I'm accepted, I would like to go to North America this summer (Id like to go to Canada, but I'm not sure) to study Native American creation myths, and other legends. Though since I've started researching the subject, I find I'm really interested by totem animals and medicinal herbs and... soo many things. I'd like to make some sort of book, decorated with pictograms, crafts and artwork, as my report, and maybe a small 'book of plants(?)' too. Anyhow, I don't know where to start finding 'contacts' in America. I don't know any Native Americans... How will I meet people, where should go? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot for any help, I really don't know where to start

Last edited by VickyS; 12/12/10 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
VickyS, the organization to which you are applying should be able to match you with a host family. They may have a family that lives near a Tribal Organization or Reservation.

I would not advise traveling to another country without first having an established, verified, and investigated host family or mentor. If the organization does not provide for a host family or mentor, and you are responsible for finding one, you must use caution.

You could start by contacting Tribal Councils and organizations, or even Native American Artist Associations. Another source would be universities with Native American Cirriculums. Investigate all individuals you contact carefully and thoroughly. This is not only for your safety, but to also ensure you are where you can learn as much as possible in your allotted time.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hello VickyS, welcome to our Native American forum.

The advice lcp gave you is excellent and well thought out. It would be very wise to keep her suggestions in mind when you make your plans.

Do you know yet which state you will be visiting? There are over 500 federally recognized tribes in America and each one is very unique unto themselves. There are some basic similarities in spirituality -- yet each have their own customs, traditions, myths, rituals, etc.

I have some articles written on myths, which you can find at this link: Myths

Articles on Animal Spirit: Animal Spirit

I hope these articles give you a good idea of the different beliefs among the many tribes.

When you know which area of the US you will be visiting, research on the internet for Native American tribes in the state you will be in. Then remember lcp's suggestions.

I hope you enjoy your visit in our country. I wish you all the best in your project and studies. Please feel free to come back here to our forum anytime -- if you have any questions we will do our best to help.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 12/12/10 08:07 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
you might want to try to find something in the Taos New Mexico area. There are a number of story tellers there and Native culture is live and palpable. It is also a good central location for visiting a number of ruins and pueblos. You will feel somewhat like you are in a country other than the United States..

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Arrow provides a great location to research. You might also consider the Pacific Northwest (you had mentioned Canada), Oklahoma, Texas, and even the Eastern Cherokee in North Carolina.

Deciding which area you would prefer to visit might be as hard as finding a good teacher. For that, I'm sure you will need an introduction and a gift to offer them (it's traditional).

Many Tribal Elders are careful with whom they share knowledge and some are even suspicious. If you encounter this, please do not take it personally, there are numerous, good reasons. If your heart is in the right place, they will know.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
V
VickyS Offline OP
OP Offline
V
No, actually, all they do is give you the money, and you have to do the rest. Actually, I am a bit young, normally they accept people from 16 to 20 years old. But I'v skipped a class and will move for college, so this might be my last chance :/ Thanks a lot for your advice though, ill go through it this afternoon :)

I do hope you will be traveling with a chaperon, VickyS. It is not safe nor advisable for a minor to be traveling alone. Also, as lcp points out, many tribes are not openly accepting of strangers. Due to the history of Native American tribes, many prefer to keep to themselves and will not be very willing to speak about their traditions, etc.

The best way to study Native American cultures, traditions, plants, animal totems, etc. is by researching online and in libraries. Travel in America requires adult guardianship for many reasons. There are many instances where an adult signature or approval is required.

Here is another article I have written that may help you understand Native American myths:
Symbolism in Native American Myths

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 12/13/10 01:10 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
V
VickyS Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Actually, we are supposed to do it alone, and my parents are ok with it. I heard a 17 year old girl spent a month with Tibetan refugees, a 17 y old guy went on a tour of Germany on foot, another 16 y old girl a month in Taiwan, another,Senegal... Things like that. Would going to America really be dangerous? I'v never been there, so I wouldn't know :s :/ So I guess I shouldn't go? I really don't want to 'bother' anyone or intrude or anything, just learn and travel.

Last edited by VickyS; 12/14/10 11:10 AM.
Of course you would not be intruding or bothering anyone, Vicky. Your desire to learn is admirable and your trip to America should be very educational. I am only concerned for your safety. It is not dangerous to travel in America as long as you take care of yourself and are always alert to your surroundings. I have just never heard of a teenager traveling to another country alone. This is a decision between you and your parents.

I would suggest you do some research online for the places you are interested in and get as much information as you can before visiting. That way you will be better able to make your plans. A month is not a long time to learn much about Native Americans. I have studied Native American cultures, traditions, and history most of my life and there are still many things I do not know. It is a vast area of study. I do think you will enjoy learning about the different tribes and their traditions. If you focus on one culture like the Pueblo tribes, it will be easier to learn. Some tribes, like the Eastern Cherokee in North Carolina, are more open to helping others learn about their culture.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 12/14/10 11:46 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Vicky,

Here are two very good sites for review that will give you more information and ideas:

First People of America

Native Tribes and Native American Tribal List are on the same site.

Another good site is Tribes and Cultures

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 12/14/10 11:45 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.