Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Connie, I know how you feel. Depression usually does tend to run in families. I have it on both sides, and as you mentioned, my father's family "self-medicated" with alcohol, too. That's never a good idea, as alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and it makes the depression even worse. I used to drink to "feel better" when I was young, but it never seemed to sink in that instead of feeling better, I usually ended up crying at the end of a night of drinking. DUUUHH!! smile
LOL!

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
The funny thing is my mom can see alcoholism in people in our family, but she is drinking red wine every evening for health reasons. Which I had said "one glass is for health, not the whole box" LOL!!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Connie, that's big-time DENIAL! My mom drank a lot before her accident. She knows she drinks too much, but she doesn't care. She says she enjoys it and it helps her sleep, which is just another form of denial.

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
Koala
Koala
Yep...my mom could be the Queen of de nile!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
only this afternoon i was discussing alcoholism with a complete stranger i met while i was out shopping, he was a middle aged gentleman and his concern about his two sons was quite open. he told me one son was an alcoholic and the other was smoking cannabis, i told the man i could identify with his worries. after he explained i told him that he wasnt alone with his problem with his two sons.my son has drank heavy since coming out of the army? he was with the united nations as a peace keeping force in bosnia and i told him i worry about his health all the time. just over 3 years ago i had a premonition that the road he used would be unlucky for him, i had an awful feeling about him being hurt? he got drunk and tried to cross the road at night and an articulator lorry hit him and put him in hospital? he discharged himself the next day covered in cuts and bruises, he did go back to have his tendon in his leg repaired though. i thought this accident would be the wake up call he needed but he still wont stop the drinking i am concerned about him and hope he will come to his senses, but he is an alcoholic and only he can help himself ive tried and failed.

K
Gecko
Gecko
K
I'm so sorry about your son's alcoholism. I know how you feel, as there are alcoholics in my family, as well. It can tear you apart if you let it.

As you stated, he is the only one who can change his behavior. All you can do is pray for him and refuse to enable him. You should go to Al-Anon meetings, too. I'm not sure, but I would imagine they have them there, or if not, they should have something similar. I've been meaning to go myself. I've heard that it is extremely helpful in learning how to deal with the pain of having someone you love being an addict, regardless of the substance.

I sincerely hope that your son is able to get help for himself before it's too late. He has to be suffering from depression and possibly post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), too. He really needs to see a therapist, as does everyone who sees combat. I can't imagine the kinds of memories they have to live with on a daily basis. It's no wonder they are so messed up when they come home, and that they turn to substance abuse. Please try to talk him into seeing a therapist. It's worth a try.

I'm hoping and praying for the best for you and your son. Thank you so much for your post and feel free to visit us again.

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rayna - Depression Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.