Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
L
I can't seem to find a good article on this site that defines the difference between clinical depression (i.e. meaning your brain just doesn't produce enough seratonin) and bouts of depression triggered by life events. What many people don't seem to understand is that you can suffer from clinical depression and yet show zero signs of it... as long as you are on the appropriate medication. If you stop the medication, then you will again show symptoms of depression. If your doctor finds the right type and leve of medication for you, you can lead a completely normal life and noone would even guess you had an illness. How do I know this? Because I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 20 years ago. And over that time I've experimented with staying on my meds and going off of them. That experimentation period is over -- I am taking the meds for life because I know they allow me to lead a completely normal life. Most people I talk to about it today are thrown for a loop when I tell them that I suffer from clinical depression. Because they see no signs of it in my life. And why is that? Because it's 100% treatable through medication and I stay on my meds. I'm not saying it's easy to get to that stage - finding the right medication and dosage for each individual is very tricky and may take quite a long time. But it's doable. And everyone who has true clinical depression should take heart - it can be treated and controlled.

Laura Hartney
Island Travel Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Laura, thanks for sharing and you are right - there are so many versions of depression.

Mine is "situational" based on what I am going through.

Glad to see you are doing great smile

Koala
Koala
I always think of mine as inherited. People on my moms and my dads side of the family both suffered from depression and self medicated with alcohol.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Well, the different types of depression aren't necessarily distinct. Life events, both emotional and physical, can trigger biochemical changes that cause depression and don't always resolve when the physical or emotional event is over. For example, it's been proven that any serious physical trauma, like a surgery, a car accident, or childbirth, can alter a person's thyroid and/or adrenal hormones, and in some cases, the changes lasts for months, years or forever. And of course, those hormones play a big part in a person's mental health. This is probably why there's so much confusion about treating depression--the line between physical and emotional causes is indeed blurry.

--Maria

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Did you know that most of the seratonin is produced in the gut and not the brain?

If one is suffering from depression due to deficient seratonin they would be wise to improve the health of their gut though diet and supplementation of quality probiotics and B vitamins.

This is just another example of how disoriented the conventional medical community is in their approach to treating disease and because of it countless suffer and even die from depression.

They have no clue on how to heal the body only on how to drug it into submission and further degeneration.

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Tiger
Tiger
The bottom line is to seek "help" and not continue to live depressed. There is HELP smile

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Yes, and there is quality help but you won't find it in most doctor's offices.

If most of your seratonin is produced in the gut and you are deficient in seratonin why do they not do something to improve the gut? instead of just pumping drugs into you? that repairs nothing? is one expected to take drugs their whole life with no hope of being free of them?

One thing I have noticed as a nurse, it that the more chronic disease sets in the less effective the antidepressants are. They are a mask, as facade for much deeper internal physiological issues... the are a crutch which may be needed at times, but the crutch sould eventually be thrown for a cure.

If your depression has a hormonal basis you should have your hormones checked by a saliva test and supplement accordingly as you work to nourish your hormonal glands. Thyroid issues usually can be addressed by supplementing with potassium iodide.

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Laura, I'm glad to know that you have found meds which work for you. As I have written, for those who do have chemical imbalances, medications can be helpful, but as you said, it usually takes trying many different meds, and even combinations of meds, to find what works for a particular individual.

With your many years of experience with depression, I'm sure you know that psychiatric illness is not an exact science. There are many chemicals/hormones which are involved and can be unbalanced. Also, different people respond differently to medications, largely because the doctors do not know exactly which chemicals may be causing the symptoms. It can be a very frustrating journey, and many people give up on meds before finding the right ones, which seems to be your point--to not give up.

In my article entitled "Depression and Childhood Abuse," I wrote about the fact that painful life events can actually alter brain chemistry, sometimes predisposing sufferers to depression for years. However, not everyone who is going through a hard time has a chemical imbalance. They can't check your blood or do an x-ray to see what's going on. They can't take a sample and see a particular "bacteria" that is causing a disease, knowing it will respond to certain "antibiotics."

As you said, Laura, depression is treatable, but there is no magic pill. In most cases, even when a med is found which is effective for a patient, its efficacy plateaus after a while, and then begins to lose its efficacy. Talk therapy, or psychotherapy, have been found to be as effective as antidepressants in long-term treatment for depression.

However, each patient is different. What might work for one might not work for another. I agree that it is important for sufferers of depression to seek treatment, including meds. I don't, however, believe that the labels we put on psychiatric illnesses are so important. Each patient experiences the symptoms of his or her disease at differing levels, and different doctors might put different labels on the same person. What matters is that we get the help to make us feel better, and I know that we are all happy that you were able to do this. smile

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Maria--excellent info, and very well-written! Thanks so much for your input! smile

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Arrow, that is also great info. I agree that feeding people drugs forever is not the best option. There are so many potential causes for depression, as well as helpful natural treatments, which I try to write about as much as I can.

As for hormonal causes, I know that my issues are heavily affected by my hormones. I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), and though my periods are somewhat irregular, I (as well as everyone around me) know that my period is coming because for about a week and a half, I have little control over my emotions. I sob, I scream, I get extremely angry, and I feel completely hopeless. It's such a rollercoaster ride...AND I HATE ROLLERCOASTERS!!

Thanks for the information regarding the serotonin in the gut. I wasn't aware of that.

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rayna - Depression Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.