Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Does anybody volunteer to help out at a Senior Center? What are some ways we can help this vital part of our community?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Lisa, I don't volunteer at one but my 82 year old mom benefits from one. They can always use people that have a skill such as computers as this generation are so into staying in touch with family - especially the grandkids, and want to be able to do so.

For the seniors who are not mobile or are bedridden, having someone to maybe push their wheelchairs to a table of bingo would be helpful. Being social keeps them alert and happy. Nothing like being able to play games like bingo with other seniors.

Great post and I am sure you wil get some awesome responses from people who do volunteer.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 11/30/10 10:12 PM.
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
Volunteering with seniors is on my list of things to do one day. Between work and exercise, there isn't much energy left. My Mom and Dad are at their senior community center nearly every day either playing bingo, helping out, or just chatting.

Dad doesn't actually do much helping. He has a hard time with his health, his vision and his hearing but being around other people seems to keep him going. I am so appreciative of the volunteers and feel that I need to pay it back soon.

Alice, Senior Living Editor
Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Alice, volunteering is not an option for alot of people right now. But when things slow down, I am sure you will find some way to help out. I would love to do this, but between finances and not having a car, it is not happening at the moment. But who knows what next year will bring my way smile

Glad to see your folks are benefitting from their interaction. Isolation and lonliness do age and kill seniors. But some do thrive on being alone and that is when we as society have to allow them to age with grace. I am so glad there are options. I do like people, but not too much - so when I age, I will be picking a few activities to get out of my home - but will be rushing back for some ALONE time smile

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/01/10 09:50 PM.
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
I'm with you on that "alone" time Angela. I'd much rather putter about the house or in the garden. Not that I have a garden right now. It's also on my list of things to do one day.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Tiger
Tiger
LOL, Alice - join the crowd of that "list" smile

I am scared of snakes, but throughout the years have always had some type of garden. The yellow flowers do something for me when I come home - make me smile.

Thanks for sharing and soon we will BOTH have another garden.....

A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
I volunteer as a writer's group facilitator at a local senior center (See my Bio). We can learn a lot from Seniors!

ANNE ADAMS
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Anne:

LOL, you keep referring to see your "bio" (saw on other threads) - okay I will make some time to pass by and see this "bio" of yours, but meanwhile - I am glad you did put some info in your post for LAZY posters like myself to read.

Thanks for sharing and I am so GLAD you are volunteering.

And YES, seniors have alot to teach us. Hey, one day we will be just like them smile

A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
Anne - what does a writer's group facilitator do exactly? My Dad dreams of having me ghostwrite the story of his life but trying to get the memories out of his head and onto paper is like pulling teeth. Is that similar to what you do? Do you have any tricks of the trade?

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

P
P
Hey Lisa - I used to volunteer when I was younger, but not so much time now :( But thought I'd put a site on here if others want to find a place to volunteer at -BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.