logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I learned early on to order extra beads for a project. On my pipe bag, I remember what you said (to let Spirit guide me) and have decided to leave the beads as they are.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Can't wait to see a photo when it's completed. I think you'll end up loving those spirit beads. What some would consider a flaw, most often makes it all the more beautiful for me.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
I will have to finish it up as soon as I can. I have just found out that I need to make at least 12 dolls in traditional dress by July for an interested customer. I need to make more bracelets and dream catchers, and medicine bags, too. This will be a very busy winter for me. All these items will be beaded.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/14/10 09:08 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
So - how are the winter projects coming along? I had to set mine aside for awhile in order to decorate my tree and do some shopping. Now I can get back to finishing my bracelets and dreamcatchers so I can have them done in time for gift giving.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Almost 3/4 done with my lazy/lane stitch ribbon project. I really am not concerned with having the proper lay of the beads and it's coming out looking similar to what the craftsmanship looked like from the late 1800's - might be because most of the beads are of antique vintage due to the size (including irregular & deformities) and availability. Get to it in the evenings when I don't have other commitments - mostly Scout related, but then I just volunteered to serve on the home owners' Architectural Review Committee. This way I can influence what they will permit as I make the final plans to add on the walkways to the recently built patio and construct a second patio with a fire pit centered in a 4-spoke medicine wheel of contrasting brick (properly oriented with the winds, of course)

As I finished/submitted the above, I noticed that Phyllis approaches the 10k post mark. Congrats, you're at 9,999

Last edited by Beetlemess; 12/10/10 12:34 PM.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
OP Offline
Thanks for the congrats, Beetle.

That fire pit sounds like it will be awesome. What a great idea -- you are very creative. I often wonder how you find the time to do so much for others - your name in the Order of the Arrow certainly defines you properly, for you are always a willing worker.

I just got another request for one of the bracelets I make. I will have to dedicate my evenings to beading them.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 12/10/10 05:47 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
YIPEE! The lane stitch project of my military ribbons is complete with appropriate attachments. Now I have to remove from the embroidery hoop I used to hold the chamois material taut and mount onto a backing board. Actually a metal plate that will use magnets to hold onto the ribbon shirt.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Congrats! Spent this morning sharing beads with my friend. She's making a necklace for a Native American wedding at sunrise in April.

I had started on a woman's choker. The beaded medallion in the center is on leather and will be bordered with braided horsehair. Instead of hairpipes, I'll be using porcupine quills. This is the first time I've beaded directly to leather, other than a little fringing. It didn't take long before I found a larger piece of leather and grabbed an embroidery hoop.

I'm hoping to make matching earrings for a set to donate to the Pow-wow auction. However, all beading is on hold until I get the fingerwoven sash completed. I'm a little bummed about that, but excited to learn something new.

Last edited by lcp012586; 01/10/11 01:42 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
I did my lane stitch project onto chamois - yes, the car detailing leather. It's soft & pliable, yet very thin & easy to find. Normally brain-tanned leather is used & the needle does not go all the way through the material. Don't even want to count how many needles I broke doing my project. The #15 needles I used with the size 16/o seed beads were very thin & brittle. They had a tendency to break with little force & at incovenient times. This wasn't made any easier by going completely through the leather & pulling the beeswax laden threads.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I'm using very thin leather scraps from cheap coats picked up over the years at thrift stores as the base of the medallion. The suede side won't show through the beadwork and the back of the medallion will be covered with a nicer leather. Sewing the beads and braid border on the scrap, I'll then attach the backing by sewing through the horsehair braid. Picked up a good bit of brain tanned leather thong in October and will using some for the ties. It is so soft and durable.

Using the 11/0 beads, I haven't had needle problems yet. My weaving/lunch break is over. It's coming along.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.