Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I received an email today from my mother-in-law with a very strange link. I could see that the e-mail had been forwarded to everyone in her address book. Those clues let me know that what she'd sent me - inadvertently or intentionally - was actually a virus.

I emailed her to warn her that her email account must have been compromised and was now being used to send viruses to every e-mail address on her PC. Of course it turns out she did not send the e-mail and had never seen the link before.

If you EVER receive an e-mail that has a single link in it that you don't recognize - do NOT click on it. If you do click on it before realizing what it is, immediately run your AV program to find the virus and stop it in it's tracks.

Here's what the e-mail looked like:

You've been forewarned, so be careful! When I have more info on this nuisance, I'll post an article about it.

Last edited by Rayna - Virus & Spam; 11/05/10 10:47 PM.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
fishYou right on top of things. I have had a few people's accounts get hacked in and I received the "famous" link.

Thank goodness I have learn't not to click on urls smile

And now I do not keep contacts in my email due to the fact of the concern of my account being hacked into and the hacker sending ALL my contacts a virus.

Yes, it is a big PAIN to recreate email addresses, but the only contact I have is the email address for my OTHER email smile

This is what "clued" me into the fact that my account had been hacked into - I received an email from one account to the other. And here I was thinking I had forgotten my password. They had even changed the account to which my account info was being sent to - my secret word and so on. NEVER had this happen, but learn't from the experience.

ALWAYS use a "very" long password to protect your account and mix it up with letters (capital,lowercase), symbols and numbers. Harder to remember but does help to keep you from being hacked.

Thanks for looking out for us. smile

Last edited by Phenix City; 11/09/10 10:17 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
:)Hey Phenix - good for you! Smart move to avoid clicking the link and keeping your contacts out of harm's way.

It really is a great idea to make your password a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. You're right, it's a bit of a pain, but it's worth it.

It's also beneficial to change your password once in a while too.

Last edited by Rayna - Virus & Spam; 11/11/10 12:27 AM.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.