logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Jenny - Public Health
Wonderful question!! Public Health encompasses any health issue which impacts the public. The CDC has expanded its major focus to include obesity, diabetes, healthy aging, heart disease and many others.

Well, you've definitely got some hot topics there for your "tough crowd", but in general, don't take the lack of response personally. I belong to another very active forum where they post stats on # of members by # of posts. The stats showed that 95% of the registered members on the forum had made less than 50 posts each, while the other 5% had hundreds or thousands of posts each. It seems to be quite common for all the activity to be concentrated among a few brave souls, even an open, welcoming environment like BellaOnline—and that doesn't even include all the readers who never register.

I think it's safe to say that most people are shy about putting their thoughts and opinions out in the world for all to see. People who strive to be editors on a popular website are clearly the polar opposite of that. Um, and I guess I'm a prime example of someone who, rather than being shy about writing, doesn't know when to stop...LOL!

--Maria

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Jenny, visit the other forums to see what the other editors are doing. When I first started moderating the Walking Forum, the "Word Association" game was the only thing going on (lol).

And even now with my "resignation" it is still going on with the two LOYAL players "Beetlemess and Rosie(Skyhaven)".... I do stop in there first and play a hand as they are BOTH playing when I am either asleep or at work.

I also used "humor" and that kept Walking Granny and Flower "giggling" along with me (lol).

We would have other forum editors stop in, hey that is what we do for each other along with some "sporadic" first timers. Some stayed and some moved on.

If this is a "subject" you are passionate about - I am sure you will keep trying "different" posts to see what works.

Oh, I also used "polls" sometimes smile

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Hi Jenny

Practically nobody talks on my forum either. I claim that since I teach teenagers,I'm used to talking to myself! But I realize people are reading what goes up, so I try to come up with interesting things where people could venture an opinion without much technical knowledge. (Not too successful either.)

I'm kinda working through some of the things Phenix City suggested -- and thank you, Phenix City, for your postings to my forum! -- but not many responses.

In fact, I was kinda wondering about these forums when the other night I read a posting on one from a woman in an abusive relationship who was trying to better her life and move on and finding it really hard. She was so desperately pleased to have found a place to to talk to people who understood, I was close to tears.

I have an educational site and I just hope someone gets something out of what I post. And I am delighted when anyone joins in.

Your topic could be of great importance to someone. Maybe it's just providing all the opportunities you can til the people who need you find you.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
You bring up a great point, Mona. A lot of people may be reading things we post and getting value out of them, and the internet may be the only place they have to go to get the help or support they need. Just because they never speak or answer doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I know I've searched for answers for all kinds of things before, and sometimes I find exactly what I need in a forum post from five years ago! Think about that--something you write today, even if no one responds, might be just what someone needs five, ten, or even 20 years from now.

--Maria

Last edited by MariaRomana-DTP/eBooks Ed; 11/21/10 05:43 PM.
Tiger
Tiger
Hey Mona, you are very welcome and thanks to your posts to the Walking Site when I was moderating. You are PASSIONATE about your subject and it shows in EVERY post. smile

Originally Posted By: Mona - Astronomy
Hi Jenny

Practically nobody talks on my forum either. I claim that since I teach teenagers,I'm used to talking to myself! But I realize people are reading what goes up, so I try to come up with interesting things where people could venture an opinion without much technical knowledge. (Not too successful either.)

I'm kinda working through some of the things Phenix City suggested -- and thank you, Phenix City, for your postings to my forum! -- but not many responses.

In fact, I was kinda wondering about these forums when the other night I read a posting on one from a woman in an abusive relationship who was trying to better her life and move on and finding it really hard. She was so desperately pleased to have found a place to to talk to people who understood, I was close to tears.

I have an educational site and I just hope someone gets something out of what I post. And I am delighted when anyone joins in.

Your topic could be of great importance to someone. Maybe it's just providing all the opportunities you can til the people who need you find you.

J
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
J
Thank you all! I feel much better about the forum. I love that the editors on Bellaonline are so supportive. I am sure this translates to our readers. I am sure they have a clear idea about the dedication of so many passionate editors!!

Jenny Vasquez
Public Health
Elephant
Elephant
Don't worry about it. Just look at how many people read your posts and not how many people respond to them. I talk to the same handful of peeps all the time but that doesn't mean others aren't benefiting from those discussions smile

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.